L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Budget telephoto non-native options

johnm

I don't want to spend on the 70-300, 70-200 F4 right now. Maybe later. The Sigma 100-400 is more than I want or need.
Does anyone use an MC-21 and EF lenses? EF 70-200F4 in particular. This would top of the budget. Maybe the 135L?
Basic AF is not necessary but would be nice as I'd like to have something a little longer than my P85 1.8 for studio use.
On the MF side, I'm thinking an old Nikon 75-150E or similar to keep weight down.
Would be interested in some of your thoughts.
Thanks.

Maybe Tamron will join the alliance. The 70-300 is a notch below in $ and seems pretty good.
Not likely given Sigma is a core member of the L mount alliance.... You're right about the Tamron lens though - I used it on Nikon a few years ago and it was pretty decent, especially for the price.

I don't want to spend on the 70-300, 70-200 F4 right now. Maybe later.

I don't know where you're located but in Europe, Panasonic has just dropped the price on the 70-300mm lens considerably, so you might find it has moved into your budget.

Taking a chance.
On the list above (thanks @Jayneboo) it shows compatibility with the MC-21 and Tamron 70-210 VC F4.
The lens was $330, and the MC-21 was $130. About half of the price of a used Pana 70-200 F4.
I'm hoping eye-AF works in AF-S mode for studio headshots. Other than that, it'll be used for landscapes.
Crossing fingers.

Taking a chance.
On the list above (thanks @Jayneboo) it shows compatibility with the MC-21 and Tamron 70-210 VC F4.
The lens was $330, and the MC-21 was $130. About half of the price of a used Pana 70-200 F4.
I'm hoping eye-AF works in AF-S mode for studio headshots. Other than that, it'll be used for landscapes.
Crossing fingers.
Please let us know how you get on, samples would be great...I have thought that looked like an interesting option.

I finally took delivery a few days ago. I don't have any samples but flower shots and the homes across the street, so I'll wait until I get something at least a little better.
First impressions. It works.
AF is slow but smooth and accurate but when the lens is racked on the opposite end of far and near it struggles or fails.
Eye AF works on the S5i.
OIS and image output is where there's sunshine.
It stabilizes the image in the EVF (not sure if I don't have the right setting but I'm not getting that effect with my S lenses - or at least it's not as clear cut). Dual IS? Likely not but very effective all the same.
Output is very clean with decent contrast and saturation.

Lastly, it's a long lens with the MC-21. I knew it going in but feeling it has me put off a bit.
At the moment, I'd rather lose the added focal reach and just use my 85. This may change.

I really like my 70-300 and I have just reaquired a CL to use as a TC to give me 105-450mm when I need longer.
Tried it out again yesterday, these 2 are regular swimmers at my favourite swim spot off the Gower.
L1000039.jpeg
  • LEICA CAMERA AG - LEICA CL
  • LUMIX S 70-300/F4.5-5.6
  • 299.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/320 sec
  • Pattern
  • ISO 100

Back