L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Camera backpack advice

Not really an advice, but I've using the PGYTech OneMo 25l backpack for the last 2 years:

I wanted a backpack that is flexible in terms of configuration (i.e. store different kinds of camera gear, or even non-camera gear), not super big that I can carry a whole day when I'm travelling, and needs to fit more 16-inch Macbook Pro. So this is the best I've found.

I've used it for a few overseas trips so far, and also here in NZ for a lot of jobs when I don't need to carry tonnes of gear.
It's quite comfortable even when I carry it for 10+ hours a day. Weatherproof. There are two quick-access side flips. The price is really reasonable. The quality is decent. It comes with a removable shoulder bag that allows me to leave the backpack in the hotel when I only want to carry just one camera with me. I haven't found any major thing I would complain about.

IMG_20221203_121352.jpg
  • HUAWEI - VOG-L29
  • 5.6 mm
  • ƒ/1.6
  • 1/100 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 200

Screen Shot 2024-03-23 at 4.14.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-03-23 at 4.12.02 PM.png

Not really an advice, but I've using the PGYTech OneMo 25l backpack for the last 2 years:

I wanted a backpack that is flexible in terms of configuration (i.e. store different kinds of camera gear, or even non-camera gear), not super big that I can carry a whole day when I'm travelling, and needs to fit more 16-inch Macbook Pro. So this is the best I've found.

I've used it for a few overseas trips so far, and also here in NZ for a lot of jobs when I don't need to carry tonnes of gear.
It's quite comfortable even when I carry it for 10+ hours a day. Weatherproof. There are two quick-access side flips. The price is really reasonable. The quality is decent. It comes with a removable shoulder bag that allows me to leave the backpack in the hotel when I only want to carry just one camera with me. I haven't found any major thing I would complain about.
I looked at that one too, but was 100€ more, although I like the extra camera bag option... it is also a lot heavier (2.1kg vs 1.45kg) guess I save that 100€, to use it for 28-200. Nice 2 lens solution with 35/1.8 for my old bag.

I have a batik backpack, from china (ali), and against all odds, i really like it. I bought it for 38 Euro's about 3,5 years ago and it's still like new and very sturdy. The only what i didn't like where the padding on the shoulders, it was too thin but i solved that by buying seperate padding.

I checked on ali, the original seller won't sell it anymore but it looks another does, but now for almost twice the price (still a bargain)...

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EQZGc3T

I have a batik backpack, from china (ali), and against all odds, i really like it. I bought it for 38 Euro's about 3,5 years ago and it's still like new and very sturdy. The only what i didn't like where the padding on the shoulders, it was too thin but i solved that by buying seperate padding.

I checked on ali, the original seller won't sell it anymore but it looks another does, but now for almost twice the price (still a bargain)...

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EQZGc3T
Now with a link that works:

Yeah. I've about given up on camera bags, and now just use any old backpack that suits the occasion. I bought a few of those Neoprene lens bags, and a square Neoprene camera wrap that has Velcro strips, then simply plonk the camera in the middle, and fold the corners inwards. Been working for me for a while now, I got run over 4 or so years back by a 4WD, broken hip, damaged my back a little, and a shoulder bag aggravates my back. Backpack seems fine. So far
He he he he he. Famous last words huh. This turned up in the mail today. I'll give it a spin tomorrow as I'm off to a Truck/transport show, & see how I like it. Has a side loading access zipper, which can be used while the bag is still on one shoulder, so it mightn't be too bad. We shall see :)
240405-P1030860.jpg
  • Panasonic - DMC-GX8
  • 20.0 mm
  • ƒ/1.7
  • 1/40 sec
  • Center-Weighted Average
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 200
240405-P1030859.jpg
  • Panasonic - DMC-GX8
  • 20.0 mm
  • ƒ/1.7
  • 1/25 sec
  • Center-Weighted Average
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 200

Until now, I have not found a backpack which I liked.

20 years ago I bought a Lowe Pro backpack. That was the time when form followed function. So a really ugly backpack, which stores everything but screams "here is someone with a lot of photo gear".

I then fell in love with Billingham shoulder bags. I have 3 of them in different colours for my different systems. All are the model Billingham hadley small. But two of them are the "pro" version with the handle on top and the zipper on the back and the strap to attach it to a carry-on trolley. I just love them.

Screenshot_20240405-225717.png

They do not look like photo gear. But they are small as the name sais. 1 body and 2-3 lenses, depending on the body and the lenses. With a Lumix 70-300 and an S5ii, only one small lens attached to the body is possible.

There is also a 2cm space advantage between the Hadley small and Hadley small pro. The Pro has slightly more space on the longest side. This is why I use the Pro version for the Fuji XT5 and Lumix S5ii system and the non-pro version for my GX9 MFT system. Sometimes small differences make big differences.

I had the normal Hadley Pro too, but it was too big for me. I did not need so much space. I try to avoid to take more than 2 lenses with me, if I do city walks.

Nevertheless I bought 2 years ago a leather shoulder bag from "Alpenleder". I think it is called "reporter". It is a messenger bag withi internals for photo gear.

Screenshot_20240405-225241.png

Very nice. Thin leather. The size is somehow inbetween the normal Hadley Pro and the Hadley small pro and is better suited for the Lumix 70-300.

Same system as with Billingham. You can take the insert bag out and use the messenger bag for something else.

Although I am not a fan of traditional backpacks, I am still looking for an elegant one, which I can use in the city and on the e-bike in the city. The Hadley small pro is not comfortable on the bicycle. It shall not look like photo gear. Leather or canvas/fiber etc. Not too big, not to small.

I saw the Billingham 25 Rucksack, which comes close to it. But it has this ugly raincoat and it seems you can not put that off or hide it. Additionally it seems very thick (depth) in videos. The overall size seems to be good though.

Screenshot_20240405-223219.png

This 25 Rucksack without the raincoat and without such a big exterior pocket, basically a "flatter" model would be my ideal backpack.

Last edited:
He he he he he. Famous last words huh. This turned up in the mail today. I'll give it a spin tomorrow as I'm off to a Truck/transport show, & see how I like it. Has a side loading access zipper, which can be used while the bag is still on one shoulder, so it mightn't be too bad. We shall see :)
Looks good! So what brand/model is this?

There is also a smaller model available with 22 l. Still bigger than I need, but very interesting. Called "OneMo lite backpack 22L".
Yeah i need a backpack that can fit my 16" Macbook Pro. Not many backpack can do that unfortunately

I researched a little bit and there might be an interesting camera rucksack from Shimoda. Model urban explorer. Available in 20L, 25L and 30L. I find the smallest 20L version most interesting.

Here is a video about the 25L version from the landscape photographer Todd Dominey:

It does not look like a camera bag and can be used also for something else. But it is not cheap. I doubt that the manufacturing costs are significantly higher than the former mentioned AliExpress rucksack.

More reviews:

Last edited:
I've had one for a couple of years now, very comfortable and kept my camera gear safe when it had a quick dip in a river, It's not a dry bag so you need to react pretty quickly though!

That is funny. We posted at the same time. I just recommended the urban version.

Yes it looks good and like you I suspect the AliExpress is perfectly ok
I was seduced by the roll top weatherproofness for my admittedly rare wet weather hiking, I'm heading out today into Storm Kathleen and will take it

If you have already a camera insert like Billingham offers them also separately in different sizes, then you can pick whatever rucksack you have and put that insert into it.

Screenshot_20240406-094519.png

There is a good video channel just about bags and they have a video about their favorate ones:

Last week I was out with my shoulder bag I posted when starting this thread. I had been ill for a couple days before, but had a 550g small binoculars, S5ii + 70-300 attached, sigma 45 and Ricoh GR3 with me.

Small hike through the back country with my 9yo daughter. After 1.5km I really hated the weight already. Ironically I ended up only using the Ricoh .

Point is, obviously this was too much (for me) although it fits the shoulder bag easily. Lesson learned… either 70-300 or binoculars or backpack.

I really would like to have the 28-200 after that hike . Probably would only have brought the binoculars and 28-200.

Tomorrow will take her to the zoo, so probably the 70-300, 85 and 45.

Excellent price, and it looks really well designed.
Initial report -I left home around 10am this morning, got home around 6:30-ish this evening, probably 2 hours driving included there, very happy with it. Very very happy in fact. Took my S5, Lumix S 50mm f1.8, Lumix S 20-60mm, Siggy 28-70mm f2.8 & Canon EF 40mm f2.8 plus Viltrox adapter. And wallet, phone, house & car keys & coin purse. So plenty of gear. As the day warmed up, I also stowed my thinner Spring/Autumn style jacket in the top zip up compartment. Plenty of space.
Negatives -it can get a touch warm/sweaty on your back, but that's applicable to every backpack that doesn't have a metal styled spacer frame to hold the actual bag away from your back, and subsequently no air circulation gap. No biggy.
I had to modify the little pocket divider placement. In the photos I previously posted, I've shown the lenses laying down. I spaced the dividers a bit closer so the lenses stand up and are held a bit more securely. With them laying down, there's just enough free room between the divider and bag lid/cover, for the top lenses to "jump" over into the next compartment pocket when the bag is vertical and jiggling around as you walk about. Once again, no biggy, very easily fixed. If you were carrying larger, longer lenses around it wouldn't be an issue, as you'd pop them in the lowest compartment anyway, to keep the COG down lower.
The side access zipper/flap works well to stow & remove camera, with the bag hanging on one shoulder/strap. Quick & easy to do, just drop the RH shoulder strap off your shoulder, and the bag swings down with the zipper opening facing up. Very handy. Accessing the lenses through the side opening is not very natural. Better to hold the bag horizontal with one arm, undo the back flap/door with the other, and do it that way. Or just take the bag off, and sit it on the ground, seat, table, whatever.
So the first day out with it, was very positive. No major flaws or issues I can put my finger on, it remains to be seen just how long wearing it will be, but so far, the price is right, & it's very comfortable to wear in actual use. The whole shebang as listed above weighs 4kg, including keys, phone, jacket etc etc, basically everything plus the kitchen sink.
240406-P1002074.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5
  • 50.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.5
  • 1/15 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 320

I find that bag very interesting. Smaller would be even better for me. Available only in red, grey and blue. No black unfortunatley. I can not judge how dark the blue is.

How tall are you? Could you please make a photo with the bag on your back from behind to be able to judge how big the rucksack appears on the back.

Is it very "thick"? I mean the cm depth from your back to the ouside flipper?

Initial report -I left home around 10am this morning, got home around 6:30-ish this evening, probably 2 hours driving included there, very happy with it. Very very happy in fact. Took my S5, Lumix S 50mm f1.8, Lumix S 20-60mm, Siggy 28-70mm f2.8 & Canon EF 40mm f2.8 plus Viltrox adapter. And wallet, phone, house & car keys & coin purse. So plenty of gear. As the day warmed up, I also stowed my thinner Spring/Autumn style jacket in the top zip up compartment. Plenty of space.
Negatives -it can get a touch warm/sweaty on your back, but that's applicable to every backpack that doesn't have a metal styled spacer frame to hold the actual bag away from your back, and subsequently no air circulation gap. No biggy.
I had to modify the little pocket divider placement. In the photos I previously posted, I've shown the lenses laying down. I spaced the dividers a bit closer so the lenses stand up and are held a bit more securely. With them laying down, there's just enough free room between the divider and bag lid/cover, for the top lenses to "jump" over into the next compartment pocket when the bag is vertical and jiggling around as you walk about. Once again, no biggy, very easily fixed. If you were carrying larger, longer lenses around it wouldn't be an issue, as you'd pop them in the lowest compartment anyway, to keep the COG down lower.
The side access zipper/flap works well to stow & remove camera, with the bag hanging on one shoulder/strap. Quick & easy to do, just drop the RH shoulder strap off your shoulder, and the bag swings down with the zipper opening facing up. Very handy. Accessing the lenses through the side opening is not very natural. Better to hold the bag horizontal with one arm, undo the back flap/door with the other, and do it that way. Or just take the bag off, and sit it on the ground, seat, table, whatever.
So the first day out with it, was very positive. No major flaws or issues I can put my finger on, it remains to be seen just how long wearing it will be, but so far, the price is right, & it's very comfortable to wear in actual use. The whole shebang as listed above weighs 4kg, including keys, phone, jacket etc etc, basically everything plus the kitchen sink.
Thanks for comprehensive review. That's really helpful.

I've always been a shoulder bag guy but have been thinking about getting myself a backpack to get more compartments for lenses. The thing that's stopped me getting one is ease of accessing the gear while wearing it. But to be fair, if I want to change lenses I usually have to put the shoulder bag down anyway so that would be no different to having a backpack.

Back