L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Get ready for another NEW Phase

Panasonic's UK pricing currently seems very odd: for the body only the G9ii is £1,699, the S5ii is £1,749 (currently with £100 cashback so £1649, less than the G9ii) and the S5iix is £2,289 (also currently with £100 cashback, so £2189), a dramatic increase in the price difference between it and the S5ii.

I wonder what's next for the S series? Given Panasonic have re-used the S5ii body for the G9ii, will we get an S5iiR rather than an updated S1R?

I think the g9 makes the s5II a bit silly and questionable. The g9 rocks new subject detection, blackout free shooting and pre capture. Beside that it got 4k 120p and it can record to a ssd. The s5II should have the same photo features since it is the photo centric version of the X?. Also who wants a gh6 now since the g9 rocks phase detection and got pretty sick codecs. I hope Panasonic is not following the Sony way and launch every new no matter what league body with new features and forget about the other recent cameras.
My money says that the S5II (and hopefully the S5R when it comes out) will get those subject detection improvements.

Unless they are attempting to make wildlife exclusively for u4/3rds. Which would be very odd, IMO.

Panasonic's UK pricing currently seems very odd: for the body only the G9ii is £1,699, the S5ii is £1,749 (currently with £100 cashback so £1649, less than the G9ii) and the S5iix is £2,289 (also currently with £100 cashback, so £2189), a dramatic increase in the price difference between it and the S5ii.

I wonder what's next for the S series? Given Panasonic have re-used the S5ii body for the G9ii, will we get an S5iiR rather than an updated S1R?
As much as I love the body of my S1R, this is exactly what I hope they do. It would be amazing to have three bodies with the same ergonomics (and hence muscle memory) that span three different sensors, with their respective strengths and weaknesses. If I had the money, I'd probably buy all three.

I think the g9 makes the s5II a bit silly and questionable. The g9 rocks new subject detection, blackout free shooting and pre capture. Beside that it got 4k 120p and it can record to a ssd. The s5II should have the same photo features since it is the photo centric version of the X?. Also who wants a gh6 now since the g9 rocks phase detection and got pretty sick codecs. I hope Panasonic is not following the Sony way and launch every new no matter what league body with new features and forget about the other recent cameras.
It's very likely, the S5II will get the new subject detection features, and maybe also pre capture, in the near future . As for the blackout free shooting, thats matter of the faster sensor in the G9ii. If pre capture would come to the S5II, it will probably more limited due hardware limitations.

The S5IIx is the same as the S5II with additional video features. Lesser video features makes the S5II not more stills orientated. There are the same cameras regarding stills. But I hope a new S1II will be a more stills orientated camera.

The Hand Held High Res Modus in the G9II (100pmx) is a very interesting feature that I would like to see in the S5II/X, but I don't know if the IBIs is good enough in the FF cameras.

Basically, the G9ii is what I will expect the S1ii to be, with a smaller sensor. However, many of the features come from using the own sensor, so maybe the S1ii will have an "oversized" G9ii-style sensor, but then with added cooling + top IBIS. 3500 EUR.
The G9 will be a great complement for me for the S5ii to use for long lenses, or for when I need crazy stabilization in wide angle, or 4k120p.

As much as I love the body of my S1R, this is exactly what I hope they do. It would be amazing to have three bodies with the same ergonomics (and hence muscle memory) that span three different sensors, with their respective strengths and weaknesses. If I had the money, I'd probably buy all three.

I wonder what Panasonic would charge for a hypothetical S5R and whether it'd use the 60MP sensor found in the Leica M11 and Q3?

At the moment there are two manufacturers offering cameras that are basically identical in every way other than resolution, with the high resolution version using a 60MP sensor: Sony, with the A7cii and A7cR, and Sigma with the fp and fp L. But there's a huge difference in how they price the 60MP version relative to the standard version in the UK: Sony want £1,100 more for the A7cR (£3199) vs the A7cii £2099) while Sigma want £400 more for the fp L (£1999) vs the fp (£1599). OK, the A7cR includes a £159 grip extension, but the price does seem like "what the market will bear" rather than being representative of what the 60MP sensor actually costs.

I shot MFT as my primary photo format for many years. Still love my Olympus PEN E-P5.

But isn't this camera the size and weight of a Lumix S5? Someone missed the point of a smaller sensor.

I shot MFT as my primary photo format for many years. Still love my Olympus PEN E-P5.

But isn't this camera the size and weight of a Lumix S5? Someone missed the point of a smaller sensor.
That's not correct. The heat needs to be eliminated for unlimited 4k120P and Opengate. And for bigger lenses a body with a good grip is necessary. No matter what sensor size. Now imagine a G9ii with the 100-400 and an S5ii with the 150-600. I would say the G9ii is a lot smaller and lighter package.

It's the successor of the G9. The G9 was about this size before Panasonic full frame Cameras have been around. The size is needed for good ergonomics.

But when it comes to transportation, there is only smaller is better.

Everybody has to find it's own compromise between this factors.

That's why I preferred to have two Body, when I was shooting MFT. I had a G81 with battery grip and a GX80. I took the GX80, mostly with the 12-32 kit or/and the 15mm f1.7 or 25mm f1.8, when I wanted to have a very small system, fitting in the pockets of my jacket. And I took the G81, when I wanted to shoot with more or bigger telephoto lenses on a trip, so I needed a camera bag anyhow.

In a camera bag with zooms and primes from 18mm to 600mm, the actual size of the body makes no big difference. But the size of the lenses do. At the time, only MFT made it possible for me to carry such a versatile system on my backpacking trips those days. And I would take a rugged G9 over a smaller body for such trips any day.

The smaller size of the system was the reason I switched from Canon DSLR at the time. The bigger size and better ergonomics of the bodys, where a big reason to choose Panasonic Lumix G over Sony A6X00 series's.

I agree with the S5ii, not with the S5iiX... But it does look a bit that the S5ii was released because the needed something, and the S5iiX was not ready. But the photocentric G9II has better video capabilities than the S5ii (in codecs at least, but also SSD recording), and that is strange...

Happy that I bought the S5iiX and not the S5ii.

I agree for most users even videographers, the G9II is a better choice now.
But the S5II is not photo-centric camera, it is a mid-grade hybrid camera. It shows the difference/advantage of each platform. The smaller micro four thirds sensor has disadvantage on things like high ISO performance..etc but it allows faster readout speed and better image stablisation.
Even though the G9II does not have a stacked sensor, it can still readout much faster than the full frame S5II sensor which allows features like uncropped 4k120 and up to 75fps full size raw output., pre-burst and less rolling shutter. If the S5II want to have those features, it would most likely have to go for a stacked sensor, which is a lot more expensive and would push the price of the camera much higher than the current US$1999 price tag (and you can get it even cheaper than that)

I don't know what firmware update may come to S5II, i feel the new G9II AF detection could be possible to come to G9II, but it's easy for us to say that without knowing what is actually required for something to work. It may require a lot more processing power or some special hardware or software design so things are always harder than it looks from the outside. But Panasonic has been really good with firmware updates, much better than most companies so I feel if it is something they can do, they would do it as the S5II is still a very new camera.

This has been debated on numerous fora to death already but I'm gone put in my two cents anyway; The point of a smaller sensor is mostly to allow for smaller lenses given a particular focal range and f-stop range. The body size is more dependent on the size of our hands and the number of physical controls you want. And as far as ideal size goes; A camera is either pocket-able or it is not. Once it is not, the actual size isn't all that important anymore as I need to bring a camera-bag anyway. The weight still is of course and then the smaller (and lighter) lenses of MFT offer a benefit.
Many were very happy with the ergonomics of the large G9.
At the other end we have the pocket-able LX100ii or the GX series with a small pancake lens but I'm not sure how easy it is to sell these in todays market. If people want to prioritize size and convenience and are shooting at shorter focal lengths anyway as you would with a typical pancake lens, they are likely to just take their phone with them. The fact that Panasonic hasn't bothered to update any of these over the years could be a hint that they aren't profitable enough anymore to justify the expense. Ofcourse as Panasonic lets these cameras age further, market demand is not going to increase for these models either.

Call me crazy but I wish they had put out an APS-C L-Mount camera with benefits of faster readout speed and lower cost but compatibility with L-Mount glass.

I would love to use this camera I think, but most m43 Lumix lenses are long in the tooth optically, and the pro lineup from Olympus are far too expensive compared to what you get output wise.

Back