L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Leaked images and specs for the Leica SL3

S1R was chunkier and heavier than the SL2 but hopefully they will both be slimmed down ;)

S1R was chunkier and heavier than the SL2 but hopefully they will both be slimmed down ;)

Unfortunately, the write on Leica Rumors:

• There will be a new body that is only a bit smaller than the current SL2

Even at half this price, I’m not sure I’d buy it. The sensor might sway me, but the other specs are a bit underwhelming, especially the single axis, tilt-only screen and the fact it’s still a pretty large camera. I’m also not a fan of mixed memory card types.

Even at half this price, I’m not sure I’d buy it. The sensor might sway me, but the other specs are a bit underwhelming, especially the single axis, tilt-only screen and the fact it’s still a pretty large camera. I’m also not a fan of mixed memory card types.
The price could be a reason that Pany hast wait a little bit longer with the release. If the cheaper Lumix will be released, only hardcore fans will still buy the Leica. But I have to wait anyway, because I will not invest in any body costing more than 3000€. So I have to wait for different prices…

The Panasonic equivalent will likely be different: the SL2 has a fixed screen, the S1R has the dual axis tilt screen. And while the SL3 looks like it'll be fairly large the spec suggests it'll only be 29g heavier than the S5ii. And if the sensor performs as well as the one in the Sigma fp L then it'll be capable of some excellent image quality.

I really love my fp L for its compact size and image quality, but I'd also like to have an L-Mount camera with the same sensor and IBIS so I don't have to resort to high ISOs in poor light.

53287846643_e71d5275fb_k.jpgSt Mary's Church by AlanC, on Flickr

The fp L did well considering that was taken at ISO 5000 and 1/125 sec to prevent camera shake, but it did emphasise just how nice it is to have IBIS.

If Sigma will release the Fp L with a build in viewer and IBIS I would order at once...

Me too.

Or a small Lumix body with a rangefinder style body like the Lumix GX9 within MFT?

As S1R owner and being a little bit jealous in regards to the new AF of the S5ii cameras, I am a little bit disappointed about the SL3 specs.
1. The 60MP sensor from Sony is from an IQ perspective really good. But sensor of the SL2/ S1R is really good two and do the extra 13MP really matter? And in case I really want much more resolution there is the HighRes mode.
2. The smaller form factor can be nice, but if I think of the lenses the system offers (and some of them I have) like Pana Pro S and Sigma Art, I am not sure about this. It‘s a high res sensor, so using the best lenses makes sense, right?
3. The other stuff is not really improved… a) FPS - not such a big change b) EVF, rear screen no improvement c) Card slots CFe + SD not changed (which is fine for me)

I hope we will see some nice and really good things which a new Maestro or Venus chip will enable.
Otherwise it quite and expensive upgrade to get the new AF and +13MP resolution.

But hey, isn‘t the time with all the different rumors and opinions the most exiting?

I thinks the problem is, that nowadays all cameras are already "good enough" in so many areas, that it is really hard to bring out a new model with significant improvements.

Around 25% more resolution matter in my opinion in the 47MP to 60MP sensor range less than 25% more resolution with sensors in between the 16MP to 20MP range. But others might think differently. High Res mode does not help if the wind is blowing or something else is moving.

This is a very individual decision, depending on your individual needs. The AF of the Lumix S5Mk2 is not that mind blowing compared to the AF of the S5 Mk1 (for photography). So take the marketing always with a grain of salt.

I will try to be very patient in 2024. I want to see first what else is coming. There is nothing I can not take photos or videos of with my current cameras. An SL3 or S1R mk2 is not really something I need to have, so this is easy for me.

But I look closely what else will come/ be announced in 2024/2025 for L-Mount bodies. Rangefinder style or something like the Sigma fp/fpL. In the meantime I focus on lenses. These work with every camera :)

I hope we will see some nice and really good things which a new Maestro or Venus chip will enable.

I doubt that they can use it already outside of the lab or did I miss news about it?

But hey, isn‘t the time with all the different rumors and opinions the most exiting?

That is true Daumenhoch Smilie

Back