L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Lumix 70-200 f4 - quick test

The 70-300 you had for a while, what side was it soft on? Or was it random? I'd start to suspect something may be amiss with your camera -either the IBIS or the mount or something. I honestly can't see there being that many bad lenses out there.
The first 70-300 I had was soft on the left. I replaced it and the second one was fine. No de-cantering at all.

Well, I did some more tests. Solid tripod, IS off - and it's just as bad.

I must say that I've had more problems with bad copies of Panasonic lenses than I ever did with other brands. Of course, my sample size is small so I shouldn't really conclude too much from it - but, you know, I'm human!

I'm going to give the 28-200 a try and see what that brings. My expectations are not high...

Last edited:
Panasonic loan service is good isn’t it? Just the cost of a courier lugging a huge pelicase. I am sure that they’ll arrange a replacement for you.

Panasonic loan service is good isn’t it? Just the cost of a courier lugging a huge pelicase. I am sure that they’ll arrange a replacement for you.
Well, I've decided on the basis of this test that it's not the lens for me anyhow. It's fairly big and even where it's sharp it's not got any "wow !" factor. If I'm going to get a lens of this size, I'll go for the Sigma 70-200 f2.8. That lens really does have "wow" IQ (but it's bigger again!).

I think I'll see what the 28-200 brings. I'll order from a reputable on-line retailer and return it if it's a duffer or a lemon.

Those tests were on the second copy. The first I got over a year ago and it was consistently soft of the left side.
I thought I may have been going senile, so I went back and had a look, your last post in the 70-300 thread also mentioned the 24-105 showing similar traits at the longer end of the focal range. Surely that can't be another faulty lens?

I thought I may have been going senile, so I went back and had a look, your last post in the 70-300 thread also mentioned the 24-105 showing similar traits at the longer end of the focal range. Surely that can't be another faulty lens?
As far as I understood Paul, he is very happy with his 24-105, although not perfect.

Most lenses are not as good in the corners as in the middle. Especially zooms. Even if you stop down.

There might be some exceptions like the new Sigma 70-200/2.8 DG DN Sports, but this comes with a weight and size disadvantage.

But all this has nothing to do with a decentralised lens, which this specific item seems to be.

@pdk42

Why don't you test the Sigma 100-400 DG DN? I do think that this would be a lot better for your use case. It has a smaller filter size (77 vs 67), is only a couple of gram heavier and has the same length to carry it in a backpack. Image quality must me impressive according to reviews. I will open an extra thread for that lens.

FWIW- I've tested my 70-200 f4 at all marked focal lengths and all apertures using a test chart and have not found any decentering issues.
It appears I'll have to keep it as very few have expressed a desire to buy it. :(
My 70-300 is likewise excellent and I prefer to use it instead. Daumenhoch Smilie

FWIW- I've tested my 70-200 f4 at all marked focal lengths and all apertures using a test chart and have not found any decentering issues.
It appears I'll have to keep it as very few have expressed a desire to buy it. :(
My 70-300 is likewise excellent and I prefer to use it instead. Daumenhoch Smilie
You selling a 70-200 f4?

Back