L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Sharpest L-mount Macro Lens

Clear View

I have a Panasonic s1R mirrorless camera. I have been experimenting with hi-res mode which puts out phenomenally detailed files with the sharpest lenses. I would like to knowwhat are considered the sharpest L-mount macro lenses? I have rented the Sigma 105 macro and it is very good. Hi-res mode challenges lenses and works best with the best lenses possible.

I think that's the only macro lens there is at the moment. Panasonic are due to release a 100mm macro too but I'd much rather see a 50mm f/2.8 1:1 macro.

There are some others including a Sigma 70mm 2.8 Macro also for L mount, but having used both the 105mm is the better lens.

I had the Sigma 105mm. I sold it because I couldn't get on with the focus-by-wire.

I currently have the completely manual Laowa 90mm f2.8 2x Dreamer which has mechanical focusing. It's an apochromat and is exceptionally sharp.

Not having an auto diaphragm takes a lot of getting used to. However, focus peaking still works at the smaller apertures.

I had the Sigma 105mm. I sold it because I couldn't get on with the focus-by-wire.

I currently have the completely manual Laowa 90mm f2.8 2x Dreamer which has mechanical focusing. It's an apochromat and is exceptionally sharp.

Not having an auto diaphragm takes a lot of getting used to. However, focus peaking still works at the smaller apertures.
I was wondering about the Laowa macros. I heard they are very sharp.

Type of shot I take with the Laowa 90. Handheld macro with fill flash. Lumix S1R.

It is sharpened with High Pass filter. my typical settings are 2px with layer density about 40%.

Note the hairs on the mouth parts and detail in the feet.

fly_laowa.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S1R
  • 1/160 sec
  • Pattern
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 1600

Type of shot I take with the Laowa 90. Handheld macro with fill flash. Lumix S1R.

It is sharpened with High Pass filter. my typical settings are 2px with layer density about 40%.

Note the hairs on the mouth parts and detail in the feet.

View attachment 1533
I ordered the Laowa 90mm. It will be interesting to see what it can do. I like the price and that it is smaller and lighter than the Sigma 105 which I have for my Sony a7r5 for my commercial jewelry photography. I like the automatic focus stacking in the Sony.

I ordered the Laowa 90mm. It will be interesting to see what it can do. I like the price and that it is smaller and lighter than the Sigma 105 which I have for my Sony a7r5 for my commercial jewelry photography. I like the automatic focus stacking in the Sony.

I hope you will be pleased with it.

Take away the autofocus (which I never used anyway), take away the weight, take away a few $100, live with the manual diaphragm and you arrive at the Laowa :)

Back