L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Shift lenses

pdk42

Has anyone got any experience of using shift lenses on L mount? My nephew is visiting me from Canada at the moment and he has a Canon 17 TSE which performs very well on architectural shots. I could use the Canon TSE via an MC21 adapter of course, but it seems that Laowa do T&S lenses too. Anyone used them?

Hey Paul,
i've tried the Laowa 15mm and 20mm shift lens (they are shift only, not tilt). I like the 20mm more as i found the 15mm is so wide that you don't even need to shift. I tried the Z mount not L-mount but optically they are the same anyway
Also tried the TTArtisan 100mm which is a shift and tilt and also available on L-mount.

Wh
Hey Paul,
i've tried the Laowa 15mm and 20mm shift lens (they are shift only, not tilt). I like the 20mm more as i found the 15mm is so wide that you don't even need to shift. I tried the Z mount not L-mount but optically they are the same anyway
Also tried the TTArtisan 100mm which is a shift and tilt and also available on L-mount.
What did you think of the 20mm in terms of optical performance Richard? It seems shift lenses often perform poorly in the corners.

Samyang does have a 24mm T&S. Will be interesting to see how long it takes them to release it on L-mount. Dustin Abbott has a good review.
Thanks George, I’ll check out Dustin’s review.

Thanks George, I’ll check out Dustin’s review.
A TS lens is still quite tempting to me. Too bad that the review of DA is coming to a not so good conclusion. And with around 1k€ the lens is also not cheap enough for having just mediocre sharpness and build quality.
So maybe it is really still better to watch for an used Canon TS. The Nikon TS lenses sound good too, but I am not aware of an F to L mount adapter with electronic contacts.

@pdk42: I would really be interested in you experience using the Canon TSE via an MC21 adapter.

I have the Canon TS-E 17mm f4L, 24mm f3.5L2 and 90mm TS lenses.

All work just fine with the MC-11. I've used the wide angles for some video projects and find the 90mm really useful in product photography.

I have the Canon TS-E 17mm f4L, 24mm f3.5L2 and 90mm TS lenses.

All work just fine with the MC-11. I've used the wide angles for some video projects and find the 90mm really useful in product photography.
Those Canon TS lenses are probably the benchmark. Do you find the 17 or the 24 the most useful?

Those Canon TS lenses are probably the benchmark. Do you find the 17 or the 24 the most useful?
Different :)

The 17mm - great for getting everything in without worrying about converging verticals. It's also a very well corrected lens. I've shot mostly video with it.
24mm is really useful for pano's.

I originally got the 24mm for aviation pano's, however, I've not used either as much as I'd hoped due to family commitments this year. I can envisage the 24mm as a good fit for your landscape work.

I have the Canon 24 version 1 and find the corners a bit smeary - is the mark 2 significantly better in that regard?

I have the Canon 24 version 1 and find the corners a bit smeary - is the mark 2 significantly better in that regard?
I've nothing to compare it with. You're most likely on a tripod and can therefore stop down. Avoid full shift with all of these lenses if you want sharper corners.

There are a number of youtubers/bloggers stating that the version 2 is sharper, but how much of that is 'justifying their own purchasing decisions' who knows? I couldn't find a version 1 in great condition. My version 1 90mm is mint.

I think if you put your subject in the middle and it's a strong composition, then no-one's going to be examining your corners. Hope not anyway - I deliberately darken all of mine :)

UPDATE: Traded the version 1 Canon 90mm for the 90mm f2.8L in the Autumn. I can confirm it's noticeably sharper (and rather bigger) than the original.

It will focus down to half life size. I'm using it more than any of my other lenses.

Although I still had to stack the following picture, it was four images rather than 30 or 40 required to get this multi-tool sharp from front to back :)

gerber_armbar_2000.jpg

Back