L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Sigma 500mm f5.6 around the corner

Quentinquirelino

According to L-rumors, a Sigma 500mm f5.6 will be announced on February 21st. It would be the first super telephoto prime for the L-Mount.

I think, if it's significantly lighter than the 150-600, not much more expensive, than it would be a welcome alternative.

I'm not sure how many of these would sell as it wouldn't really be any faster than the two zooms that go to 600mm. Could be sharper and/or lighter though.

There is another cheap and manual focus version for a 500mm lens available for L-Mount: the TTArtisan 500mm F/6.3 Telephoto Lens.

I have seen it for 370 $ (plus 137,67 $ Shipping & Import Fees to Europe).

Honestly, I have no idea how good that is...

There is another cheap and manual focus version for a 500mm lens available for L-Mount: the TTArtisan 500mm F/6.3 Telephoto Lens.

I have seen it for 370 $ (plus 137,67 $ Shipping & Import Fees to Europe).

Honestly, I have no idea how good that is...
@Richard Wong has tested it:

I'm not sure how many of these would sell as it wouldn't really be any faster than the two zooms that go to 600mm. Could be sharper and/or lighter though.
According to L-rumors/sonyalpharumors it will be under 1.5 kg (150-600 is 2.1 kg, 60-600 is 2.5 kg) and sharper than the 200-600 from Sony (and that probably means also sharper than the Sigma Zooms). And on L-Mount, it will take teleconveter. Especially a better performance with teleconveter would be a big plus.

Being a prime it should be sharper, lighter, a bit faster etc. but the Sigma 150-600 DG DN isn't lacking either and fixed 500mm is very restrictive in comparison. But I have my eyes on the Sigma you see.

Saying that I have a Pentax 300mm f4.5 prime and a top line one I used on APS-C for eq 450mm and it was more useful than you'd think, I even did landscape photography with it.

If you already have Sigma 1.4x or 2x teleconverters for up to 1000mm with great IQ around f8-f11 with the teles then it gets very interesting. I'd assume its in the Sports moniker with dual linear motors for fastest AF?

I own the 150-600 and this lens gives good results with the 47MP from the S1R. Also the 1.4x is a good combination to get 840mm. But you get what you pay for: decent quality for a decent price. There is more possible, I could compare my results with a friend who uses a Canon 4/600. You get visibly more quality, but the price tag is huge!
The last rumor is a price tag around 3000$ or 3500€ for the Sigma. That is not cheap! But if the picture quality and AF speed can compete with the big boys by only sacrificing one stop from f4 to f5.6, this is a bargain.
we will see in a few days…

You mean the Sigma newer 150-600 DG DN Sports version? If it's good on S1R the AF could be better with S5ii if you have that?

Since last replying I ordered the Panasonic 70-300 f4.5-f5.6

That 3000 price sounds very expensive for a 500mm f5.6 Sigma with only 1/3 stop faster than the 150-600 f5-f6.3 zoom, even a 600mm f5.6

The last rumor is a price tag around 3000$ or 3500€ for the Sigma. That is not cheap! But if the picture quality and AF speed can compete with the big boys by only sacrificing one stop from f4 to f5.6, this is a bargain.
we will see in a few days…
I think it will be the most compelling wildlife option for L-Mount. I expect much better image quality compared to the zooms from sigma, especially when used with teleconveters. The price is high, but it's even higher for lor long telephoto options in other systems.

You mean the Sigma newer 150-600 DG DN Sports version? If it's good on S1R the AF could be better with S5ii if you have that?

The 150-600 should be much faster on the S5II with the latest update, compared to the first reviews. But Sigma also improved the focusing motors in the latest lenses. I think the 500/5.6 will be much faster focusing than the 150-600.

Back