L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

*** April 2024 Image and Video Thread ***

On a weekend away we went by a disused petrol station with an old sofa dumped in it. Everyone was waiting for the crazy guy to shoot photos of an ugly old petrol station so I didn't have much time and feel the photos don't do it justice but this is what I could manage in the time I had. Or maybe I just really need that new Sigma 50mm f/1.2.....

Sigma 24/2

53666190649_16bc1260be_b.jpg
Abandoned garage II
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

53665834216_3ba6ac79a1_b.jpg
Abandoned garage III

53666190009_d3ebd09422_b.jpg
Abandoned garage

Sigma 50/2

53665836436_00c9f330ec_b.jpg
Abandoned garage V

53664969357_eb61ff2148_b.jpg
Abandoned garage IV

53666194679_f33fb8b6c4_b.jpg
Abandoned garage VI

So I haven't really played around much, with bumping the ISO on the S5. The IBIS is quite good, not quite as good as my G9, but good none the less. So tonight I went out and had a bit of a play around, seeing what I could get away with. Quite a bit it seems. Shot a few frames, this is not one of them, I've actually done quite a bit of shooting in April, when I look through my April folder.
240407j-P1002079.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5
  • 50.0 mm
  • ƒ/2
  • 1/3200 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100
240407-P1002113.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5
  • 40.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/1300 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

Trying out the IBIS. I seem to be able to get down to around 1/2 a second without too much trouble, at wider focal lengths. Which makes even f4-5.6 lenses quite usable at night. As long as you don't go crazy with pixel peeping.
240424-P1002269.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5
  • 14.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/6 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 3200
240424-P1002275.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5
  • 14.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/5 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 800

Trying out the IBIS. I seem to be able to get down to around 1/2 a second without too much trouble, at wider focal lengths. Which makes even f4-5.6 lenses quite usable at night. As long as you don't go crazy with pixel peeping.
View attachment 3610View attachment 3611
I had great fun in Venice last summer at night with my Sigma 24mm f/2 - taking hand-held night shots at about 1/15s I think with the lens wide open. Good IBIS plus a fast wide lens that's sharp wide open means no need for a tripod on a camera like the S5 that has great ISO performance.

We have something called "St Maarten" every 11 November in the evening where children walk with lampions and go door by door, sing "st maarten" song and get candy. That was when I had my S5ii for a couple of days, and got very nice pictures from my daughter with S85/1.8 + iso 12800 in very dark situations, only street light,

One more. Is anyone else getting the 500KB image size restriction?
Yep, I have run into that a few times so generally just link to Flickr like you've done here.

I'm pretty impressed with how good he very reasonably priced 14-28mm is right out into the corners. Even at very slow shutter speeds
Yes, it's great for the price (especially at the price you paid!) and it feels almost cheap in the hand because it's so light weight, but the performance is excellent. It's a real gem in the Lumix range.

Yep, I have run into that a few times so generally just link to Flickr like you've done here.
I just went and set up another Flicker account for my S5 shots. I'm absolutely definitely not going to go through & reduce all my photos twice, just to be able to post them here.

Qube Logistics train number 6SM7 at Goulburn, 242km south of Sydney.

Panasonic S5II + LUMIX S 70-300/F4.5-5.6
136mm ƒ/8 1/800s ISO1600

Taken with a circular polariser filter. First time using it and not entirely sure that I am a fan. Z04 975

QUBE Logistics train 6SM7 at Goulburn by Peter Watters, on Flickr
Judging by the reflections still in the windows it's not the angle for a polariser or the scene in general (the sun seems to be rougjly 90° though?). The sky doesn't look polarised nor the haze to the distant mountain. You'd really want more sky and white fluffy clouds.

Saying that the greens, reds and the yellow looks nicely saturated, you should dial it in and without and that way you'll get how to get the best from it.

I might get out and use mine today.

Judging by the reflections still in the windows it's not the angle for a polariser or the scene in general (the sun seems to be rougjly 90° though?). The sky doesn't look polarised nor the haze to the distant mountain. You'd really want more sky and white fluffy clouds.

Saying that the greens, reds and the yellow looks nicely saturated, you should dial it in and without and that way you'll get how to get the best from it.

I might get out and use mine today.
Thanks.

I have a bunch of photos to process yet and in some the sky is more blue although the subject in the image is often underexposed and I am finding it more difficult to lift the shadows without getting a strange colour cast. It's not helped by shadows, which is often a curse of rail photography, i.e. direction of train, position of sun and inbility to get access to a better location for the shot.

Thanks.

I have a bunch of photos to process yet and in some the sky is more blue although the subject in the image is often underexposed and I am finding it more difficult to lift the shadows without getting a strange colour cast. It's not helped by shadows, which is often a curse of rail photography, i.e. direction of train, position of sun and inbility to get access to a better location for the shot.
A colour cast... Hmmm I thought that Hoya CPL was very expensive! I did go out today on a cycling photography jaunt with the 24-105 and CPL. If I can ever get up from the sofa and transfer the images... Most likely tomorrow to put a few up but yeah I used the CPL to cut reflections etc. I have no exposure problems with CPL, I use M mode always, dometimes auto ISO, sometimes fixed. I did some massive dynamic range photos today so I'll see what I get lifting shadows with CPL.

Also used the HHHR mode first time at 105mm, I assume the camera knew it was HHHR as it worked fantastically.

This 500kB upload is a nuisance though, it's putting me off posting. It's not as if there is a bombardment of photos but must be storage space is so low.

No trains Pete, today had a maritime theme down at the docks or the Titanic Quarter they like to name everything here "blah blah" Quarter.

I am thoroughly, thoroughly enjoying my Lumix 14-28mm. It makes even a train station look a bit interesting :cool::cool: The tiny little 14-28 still continues to impress me. More the longer I use it.
240427j-P1002300 by Markus Welder, on Flickr

53681691464_37b141f744_o.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5
  • 14.0 mm
  • ƒ/13
  • 1/40 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 125
240427-P1002296 by Markus Welder, on Flickr

53681552158_fd12c33929_o.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5
  • 14.0 mm
  • ƒ/13
  • 1/125 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100
240427-P1002304 by Markus Welder, on Flickr

I went cycling on Thursday with my Daughter & her Husband, I now have some really good material/ideas for some ultrawide shots, that I'll have to head back for :)

I am thoroughly, thoroughly enjoying my Lumix 14-28mm. It makes even a train station look a bit interesting
You are tempting me with those images. I have the old Sigma 14-28 f/2.8, but it is so big and heavy I hardly ever use it.

You are tempting me with those images. I have the old Sigma 14-28 f/2.8, but it is so big and heavy I hardly ever use it.
It really is a great little lens. It just continues to surprise me with its output. It's my first 35mm format Ultrawide, but I do own a few good quality m4/3 UWA's. Such as the Panasonic Leica 8-18mm f2.8-4, the Panasonic Leica 9mm f1.7, & Laowa 10mm f2. Don't ask me how I ended up with all those, but I'd rate the 14-28mm every bit as good as any of those. It was actually pdk42 on here that tipped me over the edge, I've noticed that he has pretty stringent IQ requirements, shows plenty of actual output from the lens, and I've been very happy with my purchase after reading his praise for it.
That's what I like about forums such as this. Real world users that actually get out & use the gear, & show the results, rather than just test chart images. Glad you're finding my amateur efforts helpful :)

A colour cast... Hmmm I thought that Hoya CPL was very expensive! I did go out today on a cycling photography jaunt with the 24-105 and CPL. If I can ever get up from the sofa and transfer the images... Most likely tomorrow to put a few up but yeah I used the CPL to cut reflections etc. I have no exposure problems with CPL, I use M mode always, dometimes auto ISO, sometimes fixed. I did some massive dynamic range photos today so I'll see what I get lifting shadows with CPL.
When I get the opportunity I will open a new thread and put up a few samples. It was interesting to see that the camera processed the JPEGs differently, i.e. lightened them more than the default processing of the RAWs with DxO PhotoLab. Usually they are quite similar but not with the CPL.

Also used the HHHR mode first time at 105mm, I assume the camera knew it was HHHR as it worked fantastically.
Yes, I did a test shot yesterday with HHHR. Very easy to use.

This 500kB upload is a nuisance though, it's putting me off posting. It's not as if there is a bombardment of photos but must be storage space is so low.
I usually just put the photos I post here on Flickr as I don't want to spend time processing multiple versions of the photo. I have found that the photos don't have to be public on Flickr, they can just be on the private camera roll and the link still works. That's helpful if you want to post something here but don't want it in your public gallery.

No trains Pete, today had a maritime theme down at the docks or the Titanic Quarter they like to name everything here "blah blah" Quarter.
Looking forward to it.

My day yesterday was all trains. First time I've had a whole day out doing that in quite a while!

Back