L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Camera backpack advice

Small follow up on my new Lowepro Fastpack Pro 250 aw iii I purchased in March. My small trip to Berlin and Hamburg was the first time I really tested it out. For me this bag is comfortable. I only left my 70-300 home.

For the trip I added my MacBook Pro 13”, chargers, ipad etc. Which made it uncomfortable heavy, but that was of course only from the car to the airbnb.

During the days in Berlin walking around was comfortable. Used my GR3 around subways/trains etc. Had some lunch in the daypack and a full waterbottle. It did get a bit sweaty on my lower back at the end of the day, but it was fairly hot, 28 Celsius in the shade.

My observation is that a backpack is nice with zoomlenses, and the messenger back is better with a few light primes. One on the camera and max 2 light ones extra. During my first walk in the evening I only changed once from the 20-60 to 35/1.8 around sunset. Next day didn’t change lenses at all. Went back and forth between GR3 and S5ii + 20-60. The slow aperture with such a nice weather and high iso was no limit at all and used f8 mostly.

The last day on the way home we stopped at Hamburg to meet family and had a walk around the Pauli-Fischmarkt and Elbe tunnel. Only brought the GR3 and left all the rest in the car. It is such a brilliant little camera!

It also kind a changed my mind on wanting the 28-200 a bit. I enjoyed the wide-end a lot in this city trip, and hardly used the 60mm end.

Small follow up on my new Lowepro Fastpack Pro 250 aw iii I purchased in March. My small trip to Berlin and Hamburg was the first time I really tested it out. For me this bag is comfortable. I only left my 70-300 home.

For the trip I added my MacBook Pro 13”, chargers, ipad etc. Which made it uncomfortable heavy, but that was of course only from the car to the airbnb.

During the days in Berlin walking around was comfortable. Used my GR3 around subways/trains etc. Had some lunch in the daypack and a full waterbottle. It did get a bit sweaty on my lower back at the end of the day, but it was fairly hot, 28 Celsius in the shade.

My observation is that a backpack is nice with zoomlenses, and the messenger back is better with a few light primes. One on the camera and max 2 light ones extra. During my first walk in the evening I only changed once from the 20-60 to 35/1.8 around sunset. Next day didn’t change lenses at all. Went back and forth between GR3 and S5ii + 20-60. The slow aperture with such a nice weather and high iso was no limit at all and used f8 mostly.

The last day on the way home we stopped at Hamburg to meet family and had a walk around the Pauli-Fischmarkt and Elbe tunnel. Only brought the GR3 and left all the rest in the car. It is such a brilliant little camera!

It also kind a changed my mind on wanting the 28-200 a bit. I enjoyed the wide-end a lot in this city trip, and hardly used the 60mm end.
But you also have the 70-300, so theed for the 28-200 is less. (although you did not take it with you on this trip).

I'm finding out that I really like the 28-200, even when the 24-105 would suffice.
But it is such a little light lens.

Yeah, I was contemplating to sell the 70-300 and get the 28-200. But I really like the 70-300 performance, only not it’s weight.

But when I went to the zoo for example I had the 70-300 attached and the GR3 with me. That was all I needed, and no lens changes.

Me buying a 28-200 is not a need, just GAS :). For now, with no airplane vacations in the near future, no need for a single lens solution. On topic: This bag pack can hold the 70-300 upright, so not taking up much space anyway. Only a “bit” of extra weight.

Yeah, I was contemplating to sell the 70-300 and get the 28-200. But I really like the 70-300 performance, only not it’s weight.
The weight? It is a lightweight and lighter than my previous Pentax 300 prime AND at least as good image quality with better colours and contrast.
But when I went to the zoo for example I had the 70-300 attached and the GR3 with me. That was all I needed, and no lens changes.

Me buying a 28-200 is not a need, just GAS :). For now, with no airplane vacations in the near future, no need for a single lens solution. On topic: This bag pack can hold the 70-300 upright, so not taking up much space anyway. Only a “bit” of extra weight.
Mine with S5ii can be slid into either side for faster access and it works well, especially on the bicycle.

The weight? It is a lightweight and lighter than my previous Pentax 300 prime AND at least as good image quality with better colours and contrast.

Mine with S5ii can be slid into either side for faster access and it works well, especially on the bicycle.
Weight can indeed be subjective :cool:, but asI said, really like the quality, performance, rendering. I don’t want to let it go to buy a travel zoom. Which I did consider but now decided not to.

The S5ii + 70-300 with hood attached fits also fine from the side. But also upright when not attached and taking considerable less room in the proces. This bag has one side access only, which is fine by me. But deep enough for the body and serious large lens attached.

Hmm thinking about it, 2 side access would have been nice one for a lens change, other one as it is right now. But this one side makes it a bit sturdier. Oh well. Like it also as it is :) I did search for the Manfrotto bag, and was sold out. And the prices I saw where also a tiny bit higher, so that wouldn’t have been a decision factor. Availability was…

Last edited:
Weight can indeed be subjective :cool:, but asI said, really like the quality, performance, rendering. I don’t want to let it go to buy a travel zoom. Which I did consider but now decided not to.
Wise choice!
The S5ii + 70-300 with hood attached fits also fine from the side. But also upright when not attached and taking considerable less room in the proces. This bag has one side access only, which is fine by me. But deep enough for the body and serious large lens attached.

Hmm thinking about it, 2 side access would have been nice one for a lens change, other one as it is right now. But this one side makes it a bit sturdier. Oh well. Like it also as it is :) I did search for the Manfrotto bag, and was sold out. And the prices I saw where also a tiny bit higher, so that wouldn’t have been a decision factor. Availability was…
Yeah both sides as with the Manfrotto is good, I have either my 24-105 or 70-300 stored from the other side and a rainjacket or flask. Both sides also have inside pockets for filters etc. I keep my hoods in the top but most times don't bother and I'm in/out on the bicycle. The coatings are excellent so just used my hand to shield from strong sun if needed. Saying that it probably is better with the hoods but most times I'm using a CPL anyway.

The Mafrotto is great, it gives superb protection and is comfortable on the bicycle being the right size. I got it "used twice" for £38 so it was a great buy and as you say they seem to be out of stock quite often buying new.

I admit, much like my camera choice, I prefer to travel light with bags and gear. ^^;; I get around the limitations by a multi-bag system.

It works for me because I've noticed that on any given shooting walkaround, I normally only use 2-3 lenses; anything else just sat in the bag, when I carried larger bags. The extra lenses were just there to bulk up the available options. So I have a 'prime' bag that I actually carry with me, and a secondary bag with lenses I can pull from that stays back in the car (hotel room, etc.). I also have a belt lens case that holds a longer tele (usually something like an 80-200) which I can strap on if I think I'm going to want to go long on a given walk.

Prime bag: I've liked Tamrac bags for a very long time, and one of them passed the acid test for me by protecting the gear through a half-hour walk in pouring rain. (Long story.) Even more impressive, it was a used bag; since I pick up a number of old film-era lenses at estate sales as part of a gear bundle, I end up with a number of bags that way. (Another potential advantage of used bags; a bag that's old and looks kinda beat-up seems like it'd be less attractive for thieves.) For the fp, it's a small bag with room for the fp on the top layer (with one lens tucked next to it, currently the Vivitar (Kiron) 28/2.5); on the bottom layer, three small-to-medium lenses (currently the MD 35-70, OM Zuiko 100/2.8, and Super-Takumar 50/1.4). The S5 is in a mid-sized bag, taking up 2/3 of the top layer with the 20-60; the end slot has a Vivitar Series 1 28-90 and a Konica Hexanon 65-135. Under the S5 is a mix of lenses that hasn't really settled into anything fixed.

Bag 1.jpg
  • Apple - iPhone 13 mini
  • iPhone 13 mini back dual wide camera 5.1mm f/1.6
  • 5.1 mm
  • ƒ/1.6
  • 1/9 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 640

(The green-and-white bag is a microfiber bag originally intended for golf; it's thick enough to protect against scrapes and light dings, though it wouldn't provide any real protection against dropping.)
Bag 2.jpg
  • Apple - iPhone 13 mini
  • iPhone 13 mini back dual wide camera 5.1mm f/1.6
  • 5.1 mm
  • ƒ/1.6
  • 1/9 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 1000

The secondary bag has usually been a Tamrac as well; though that's not as critical since it mostly sits in the car/hotel room, and doesn't get banged around a lot. My current one has three large side-by-side bays, with each bay holding two levels; that's enough for 12 primes, 6 longer teles, or a mix of the two.

For my laptop, I use a 13" MacBook Air M2; not always as fast as I'd like, but more than fast enough to work with, and much lighter and easier to carry around. When I have to have it with me, instead of trying to cram it into the same bag, I use a thin STM laptop shoulder sleeve; it's slim enough that it can go on the inside, with the camera bag on the outside, and still be less bulky than a bag large enough to carry both.

In the last couple of years I have moved to a single-strap backpack (A Lowepro Slingshot 200 I bought used) which has the big advantage of allow access without removing the whole thing and having to juggle lenses. At times I find it too small and have considered an upgrade to the larger 300 but I suspect that would take it, when full (as it will invariably be), over the weight limit I'd be happy to carry, so I'm sticking with this one. That's for travel and when I need various items, if I'm just heading out for casual shooting then I'd likely take a smaller shoulder bag.

For my recent trip to Valencia I managed to fit in it the S5, Lumix 50/1.8 and 20-60mm, Sigma 24/2, 25/2 & 90/2.8, K to L adapter, vintage Pentax 30/2.8 & 50/1.4 lenses and a Canon EOS 300X with 24-85mm and 50/1.8. That was really pushing it though and used virtually all the non-photo gear space for photo gear. I invariably left some stuff in the apartment when we headed out for the day.

I have a Lowepro backpack for real hiking that's better made and much more comfortable but fits less and has to be removed to change gear, to be honest I haven't used it for years. And an old Kata that's been round the world and is showing a fair bit of wear. Shame that Kata disappeared.

I find myself in the position of looking for a new bag after understanding the limitations of my current setup on a recent trip. My wife finds my need for a new bag somewhat amusing and for some reason doesn’t understand my need is not the same whimisical desire she has. I'd like a Billingham, but my, they know how to charge eh?

I find myself in the position of looking for a new bag after understanding the limitations of my current setup on a recent trip. My wife finds my need for a new bag somewhat amusing and for some reason doesn’t understand my need is not the same whimisical desire she has. I'd like a Billingham, but my, they know how to charge eh?
@pdk42 is the connoisseur of Billingham bags . I use an old Lowepro Event Messenger 150 for 10 yrs and now added the Lowepro Fastpack Pro 250 aw iii, mostly because the l-mount lenses are quite a bit larger then my previous gear. Not necessarily all heavier. Only my 70-300 is big, which @Oíche find amusing. Keep telling me it is small and light .

I think about getting a used small slingshot as well. (€20 used)

I did also get an extra bag yesterday, before getting the 24-105/4 :) It is the Lowepro Slingshot 202 AW. Fit's the body + 24-105, 70-300 and a prime + GR3 in carry case. It's easier to carry then the shoulder bag, yet smaller then my big backpack. So ideal for small walk. And has some room for snacks/drink during the day.
1715519833436.png
1715519873807.png
1715519957445.png

Just picked this up. Maybe not a rucksack but will hopefully meet some of my needs. Still looking for a backpack and also looking at the Lowepro rucksacks.
IMG_0369.jpeg
  • Apple - iPad (7th generation)
  • iPad (7th generation) back camera 3.3mm f/2.4
  • 3.3 mm
  • ƒ/2.4
  • 1/262 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 25

So I'm looking at the shimoda explorer v2 35l and saw this review I had to share because of the intro song had me rolling

I've never seen such dedication to a camera bag review. Still love the design of this thing, rain cover, water bottle carriers that stow away, and the way the side door opens with little pouches in the door for filters looks really handy

Back