L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Focus issues on S5II

fyw

Hi, I just got my S5II and I updated the firmware today. However, I encountered focus issues. In the pictures I had 1-area focus (AFS) in the middle, however it seems that the camera focused on the left branches even though the camera showed a green box.

In addition, when moving from far to close focus, sometime the camera would fail to focus on the close subject but still show a green box regradless. I'll post some examples tomorrow if possible. Is there an issue with new firmware or is there something wrong with the camera? Thanks!

The lens is lumix 50mm f/1.8

Attachments

• IMG_2064.JPG
    EXIF
    IMG_2064.JPG
    258.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2065.JPG
    EXIF
    IMG_2065.JPG
    259.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 1.36.50 AM.png
    EXIF
    Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 1.36.50 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 1.37.06 AM.png
    EXIF
    Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 1.37.06 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
Probably cannot see very clearly in the screenshot (the original jpeg is too big). Maybe try the link here:

Not good. What lens are you using? Something funny is going on.

I see the your first post okay. The second post with with the links does not work for me.

I updated two cameras with the new firmware and am not seeing this issue. Checking with my Sigma 50mm f/1.2 which has razor thin depth of field the focus is right at the green box.

Not good. What lens are you using? Something funny is going on.

I see the your first post okay. The second post with with the links does not work for me.

I updated two cameras with the new firmware and am not seeing this issue. Checking with my Sigma 50mm f/1.2 which has razor thin depth of field the focus is right at the green box.
it is lumix 50mm f/1.8. Also this is a video of the af issues I mentioned

Installed fw 3.0 today as well, took some images in my home office with pinpoint AF close up with my 35/1.8 and with first checks everything seems ok. Pointed camera out the window and immediately focused on my car (car detection on), and also sharp.

Something clearly not right here, some people say Gremlins can be caused by 3rd party batteries.

I just got the kit (S5II + 20-60mm + 50mm f/1.8) on Adorama a few days ago. Everything is first-party. I tried on 20-60mm and it seems that the focus issue is still there. I think it may just be that something is wrong with the camera. Should I just return it? Go through warranty?

it is lumix 50mm f/1.8. Also this is a video of the af issues I mentioned
The wind in that video makes it difficult to understand what is going on. With AFS pinpoint it will focus instantly, and as the wind blows the leaves around it is hard to know what it focused on. Two thing might help sort it out. In the menu Pinpoint AF Setting you can set the Pinpoint AF Time to Long. This gives a little more time to see where the focus is. Also if you select objects that aren't moving (like the leaves) it should be easier to see where the focus is. Finally if you set Quick AF to ON the focus will generally (but not always) just follow along to where the camera is pointed and you don't need to half press the shutter to focus.

I just got the kit (S5II + 20-60mm + 50mm f/1.8) on Adorama a few days ago. Everything is first-party. I tried on 20-60mm and it seems that the focus issue is still there. I think it may just be that something is wrong with the camera. Should I just return it? Go through warranty?
I wouldn't be so hasty, did to try and use AF-C? This uses the PDAF on the sensor, I'd try that first. Is there dust on the lens contacts?. I'm guessing here but it"s worth an air blower pump or two.

I don't know how a faulty camera could cause this, I would contact Adorama first and ask them and send the video link, or contact a Panasonic Lumix rep.

I've a feeling it could be the lens contacts, or the lens electrics. The CDAF using AF-S seems to be reporting focus is correct to the camera when it isn't. Another lens could show this up, I'm.lucky as I bought 2 lenses and from a local retailer so if that happened to me I could physically bring it to them.

Adorama will do a return or exchange. But you should probably troubleshoot more to further define the issue. For example is AFC okay and it is just AFS? And are all the AF settings okay? Is Focus/Shutter Priority set to FOCUS (for both AFS and AFC)? And does it act up with all the AF Modes? Check to make sure you have the latest firmware updates for your lenses, I think they should be on 1.1.

Adorama will do a return or exchange. But you should probably troubleshoot more to further define the issue. For example is AFC okay and it is just AFS? And are all the AF settings okay? Is Focus/Shutter Priority set to FOCUS (for both AFS and AFC)? And does it act up with all the AF Modes? Check to make sure you have the latest firmware updates for your lenses, I think they should be on 1.1.
It seems that in AFC this issues still occasionally occurs. I've used 1-area focus and the result seems to be same. I've enabled quick AF and set the time to long as you've suggested and i try to film when the wind is calm. I think the small leaves in the beginning highlight the issue. (I've checked the it is farther than MFD - there are also some frames where it is in focus.) There are also weird scenarios where it does not focus far. In general it seems that the camera is "lazy" in focusing. Also I think 50mm 1.8 does not have a firmware update? The lumix website only have firmware for 50mm f/1.4.

I had a s5ii that worked well a while ago, but within one month of my purchase adorama had a huge edu discount on one of the kits so I replaced the original one with the new kit. So it has been back and forth and I was a little bit exhausted lol. Also I'll be traveling soon so I kinda want get it worked out asap.

It feels like if the situation is a bit complicated the camera just stayed on the focus before that scene, and only changes when it is very clear (there is no object in the foreground) (like when I focused on the bottom of the stem)

I've tested them indoors and it mostly works because it is nice and clear with no busy foreground and backgrounds. But I think at least the camera should be able to pick up the leaves shown in the beginning of the video?

AF-S pinpoint is a very small focus point (might be a single pixel?) and assuming that the camera is using CDAF in this mode, it may have difficulty finding enough contrast.

I've just tried with my S5M2 + LUMIX 50mm f/1.8 and can find situations where it won't focus if the pinpoint is on a surface with no contrast. However, in that situation I do not get focus confirmation on a half-press of the shutter. It just gives me a red box after doing a focus rack.

Not knowing your exact settings, it might be worth doing a reset on your camera, perhaps after saving your current settings so you can later restore them. But using pinpoint is always going to be a problem on surfaces with little contrast. I'd suggest 1-area and just making the box a bit smaller than the default size if need be.

It seems that in AFC this issues still occasionally occurs. I've used 1-area focus and the result seems to be same. I've enabled quick AF and set the time to long as you've suggested and i try to film when the wind is calm. I think the small leaves in the beginning highlight the issue.
I can't duplicate that, with leaves in the garden my S5II tracks along and focuses fine, even with fading light here. Now and then I need to punch half shutter, but you are doing that. For some reason your camera doesn't like to focus on green leaves. There are a few other minor focusing adjustments with AFC but I doubt they would help this. I'd say it might be time to talk with Adorama about a swap.

Back