L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

*** July 2023 Image & Video Thread

I wouldn't have a clue where to start for those Milky Way and Stars shots, and wouldn't like the cold and dark either.
Looking at the Milky Way, so close it seems, and large. And understanding this Milky Way galaxy we live in, with its billions of stars, is just a speck in the universe, as Earth is just a speck in it, as we are specks on Earth. As photographers we have the opportunity to feel this vastness, and to capture it for our memories. Here is a guide.

Looking at the Milky Way, so close it seems, and large. And understanding this Milky Way galaxy we live in, with its billions of stars, is just a speck in the universe, as Earth is just a speck in it, as we are specks on Earth. As photographers we have the opportunity to feel this vastness, and to capture it for our memories. Here is a guide.
And here is another. :)

Poppies. S5 and the TTArtisan 11mm fisheye.

53076478902_ff7fc06946_o.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5
  • TTArtisan 11mm f2.8 Fisheye
  • 11.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/40 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

Poppies by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

Milky Way, photographed from the top of Engineer Pass in Colorado. 12,800 feet, about 1:00 am, in June.View attachment 802

S5 with Sigma 28mm. F1.4 DG HSM Art lens.
Two images (no stacking), blended in PS:
Sky: F2, 60 seconds, tracked.
Foreground: F1.4, 60 seconds.
That’s superb George. I really like it.

S5 with the 20-60. Stitched from 5 shots.

53077168090_e1f94ba981_o.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5
  • LUMIX S 20-60/F3.5-5.6
  • 20.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/200 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

The View towards Dragon Hill by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

Last edited:
S5 with the 20-60. Stitched from 5 shots.
I like this, well done. It gives a really good perspective of the countryside, and I like the two people walking, because they are there, and because they set the scale.

Here are a few shots I took this evening of a steam train passing through my local area.

I forgot that I'd limited ISO to 6400 when using the camera a few days ago so the camera reduced the shutter speed below what I'd normally set for a moving train, so the first shot is not quite sharply focused. I must remember to check my settings next time!

5917 arriving at Sutherland with the Picnic Train by Peter Watters, on Flickr

5917 waiting to depart Sutherland with the Picnic Train by Peter Watters, on Flickr

Here are a few shots I took this evening of a steam train passing through my local area.

I forgot that I'd limited ISO to 6400 when using the camera a few days ago so the camera reduced the shutter speed below what I'd normally set for a moving train, so the first shot is not quite sharply focused. I must remember to check my settings next time!

5917 arriving at Sutherland with the Picnic Train by Peter Watters, on Flickr

5917 waiting to depart Sutherland with the Picnic Train by Peter Watters, on Flickr
Excellent shots Pete. The slight blur on the first is hardly noticeable. It's amazing though how clean the S5 is at ISO 6400 in cr@p light though!

Excellent shots Pete. The slight blur on the first is hardly noticeable. It's amazing though how clean the S5 is at ISO 6400 in cr@p light though!
Thanks Paul. Yes, the S5 is a remarkable performer in low light with higher ISOs. After using M43 for some years I am loving the extra shooting envelope that the camera provides. And that Sigma 35mm f/2 works so well with the S5.

Was a little restless last night, and decided to sit out on the back porch at 4:30 am. Was greeted by this amazing scene, with the moon setting behind the clouds (and the tree), the thin overhead clouds above it, and clear skies revealing the stars to the right. Just had to grab the shot.
P1176493_4k.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5
  • LUMIX S 16-35/F4
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 15 sec
  • Pattern
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 800

Was a little restless last night, and decided to sit out on the back porch at 4:30 am. Was greeted by this amazing scene, with the moon setting behind the clouds (and the tree), the thin overhead clouds above it, and clear skies revealing the stars to the right. Just had to grab the shot.
View attachment 820
Lovely! But 4:30am and still awake?

Last post in July... Another shot from Oxfordshire last week. S5 plus 20-60. I love this little lens. I still can't believe how good it is for the £135 it cost me!

53083879520_e05866300c_o.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5
  • LUMIX S 20-60/F3.5-5.6
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/800 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto bracket
  • ISO 100

The Cows Gather Before the Rain Arrives by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

Back