L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

*** June 2023 Image & Video Thread

It's been a while since I've been in Spain. I sse the STOP sign in Segovia says STOP, where over here, in Mexico and I'd guess all Latin America, the signs say ALTO. Curious, I wonder why the difference, and isn't stop an English word?

Stop signs in Spain do really say STOP in English. Never thought about it until now, but isn't that the only standard sign with a word on it? All the others use numerals or symbols.

The things you learn from photography. ;-)

It's been a while since I've been in Spain. I sse the STOP sign in Segovia says STOP, where over here, in Mexico and I'd guess all Latin America, the signs say ALTO. Curious, I wonder why the difference, and isn't stop an English word?
Because the purpose of languages, and of symbols, is above all communication.

In Europe, where it is common to cross borders by car, the priority until recently was to help the driver, regardless of their place of origin: (in France, STOP is also written in English, instead of ARRÊT).

Much of the Spanish economy is based on tourism, in addition to all international transport, so there are many foreigners who do not speak Spanish.

In some Latin American countries, in addition to ALTO, the signal says PARE, which is the imperative (from "usted", polite form of the second person singular) of the verb "to stop".

Back