L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Looking for a manual focus telephoto

Jerry Murphy

I just ordered my first Panasonic camera, the Lumix S5IIX, and still catching my breath from all the money I just spent! But, I'm not finished. I'm thinking about a fixed, manual focus tele, maybe 1,000mm. I have looked through the lens list and some vendor sites and found nothing for full frame cameras. Am I overlooking something or are these lenses just not out there? TKS

The longest lens native to L mount that I am aware of is the sigma 150-600mm or their 60-600mm. Canon have an EF mount 800mm f5.6 prime that could be adapted to L mount, it will probably even auto focus ok on an S5ii, but it is very expensive, I think around £13,000.

The only lens I’ve ever seen at 1,000mm or longer was a canon RF lens, not sure if there was ever an adaptable EF version but in any case the RF version is about £22,000.

Also, forgot to mention, sigma make a 1.4x and 2x teleconverter that is compatible with their L mount telephoto lenses (100-400mm, 150-600mm, 60-600mm). So the most cost effective option to get near 1000mm is probably a sigma 150-600mm and the teleconverters.

I use the Sigma L mount 100-400mm DG DN f/5-6.3 with the 2x teleconverter for an 800mm f13 equivalent. It works well in decent light on the S5. This 2x teleconverter with the 150-600mm f/5-6.3 would give you a 1200mm f/13.

Maybe you are thinking of something like this, could be used I assume with a simple EF to L mount adaptor.

Amazon product ASIN B01AS7MBQ0
I have absolutely no experience with any such lens but it offers what you seem to be looking for.

Not quite 1000mm. But there will be something pretty cheap and manual focus coming out in a month or two if that's what you want.
Otherwise the Sigma super telepzoom Lsake mentioned is the best option right now

Also, forgot to mention, sigma make a 1.4x and 2x teleconverter that is compatible with their L mount telephoto lenses (100-400mm, 150-600mm, 60-600mm). So the most cost effective option to get near 1000mm is probably a sigma 150-600mm and the teleconverters.

I use the Sigma L mount 100-400mm DG DN f/5-6.3 with the 2x teleconverter for an 800mm f13 equivalent. It works well in decent light on the S5. This 2x teleconverter with the 150-600mm f/5-6.3 would give you a 1200mm f/13.
Thanks for your reply Lsake. Maybe I should have said "cheap" instead of "manual focus". :)

Not quite 1000mm. But there will be something pretty cheap and manual focus coming out in a month or two if that's what you want.
Otherwise the Sigma super telepzoom Lsake mentioned is the best option right now
Thanks Richard. BTW - I found this forum on your YouTube channel and was happy to subscribe. It's very useful.

Wow, 1000mm is tough. Anything longer that 200mm for vintage manual focus lenses it's going to be difficult to get anything that might be considered passable quality these days.

I have recently seen some good images from a 1000mm Pentax Takumar over on PentaxForums. I don't know how well they'd stand up to pixel-peeping and they're very rare but they might do.

Thanks for that review Richard, very well put together as always with all relevant information. It's not a lens for me but I applaud TT Artisan for bringing it to the table and adding to the options already available for L Mount.

Back