L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Lumix “wide to tele zoom” on roadmap

I'm not sure you'll get anything with a range greater than 24-200mm that performs anywhere near what people expect of a lens in 2023 and in a size, weight and price that people are prepared to live with.

Something like the 28 - 200 f/2.8-5.6 Tamron lens that is available in the Sony FE mount would be very nice. The Tamron lens is light and quite small. It is my wife's goto lens on her Sony A7IV. Obviously the technology exists to make such a lens for the L mount. Also makes me wonder why we do not see any Tamron lenses in the L mount (I am new to the L Mount so there is probably some history of which I am not aware: I use the Sony A7RIVa as my current main camera and am experimenting with the S5II with which I am very impressed so far). Tamron have been developing and shipping some interesting lenses as of late.

I really want to know what lens we can expect, since I am in to buy the 70-300 in about a few days. …

I really want to know what lens we can expect, since I am in to buy the 70-300 in about a few days. …
You are probably better off going for what you can purchase today, rather than wait in anticipation of an unknown lens in an unknown amount of time. The 70 -300 seems a decent enough lens (I just purchased one and am pretty happy with it) and there is a case to be made that a 20 something to 200 should be in addition rather than replace the 70 - 300. As I mentioned above, Tamron have been making some fairly fast (f/2.8 or f/2.8 to something slower) zoom lenses for the Sony FE mount that are decent quality and reasonable in size, weight and cost and I wish they were available for the L mount. However I have no expectation that they will appear on the L mount as they tend to occupy the same price/performance segment as the Panasonic S series of lenses. But we can hope.

I don't think there's any harm in waiting for a lens that has been indicated will be produced, especially as it's something that will appeal to many. It's not as if there's something close to it already in the line-up, from any manufacturer.

As for Tamron, I imagine that Sigma would want to keep them out of the L-mount alliance, even though they're a lower quality tier than Sigma.

You are probably better off going for what you can purchase today, rather than wait in anticipation of an unknown lens in an unknown amount of time. The 70 -300 seems a decent enough lens (I just purchased one and am pretty happy with it) and there is a case to be made that a 20 something to 200 should be in addition rather than replace the 70 - 300. As I mentioned above, Tamron have been making some fairly fast (f/2.8 or f/2.8 to something slower) zoom lenses for the Sony FE mount that are decent quality and reasonable in size, weight and cost and I wish they were available for the L mount. However I have no expectation that they will appear on the L mount as they tend to occupy the same price/performance segment as the Panasonic S series of lenses. But we can hope.
Ok, you won

Attachments

• 127CAEF0-BD9E-4ACC-A0D3-807C5F85671A.jpeg
    EXIF
    127CAEF0-BD9E-4ACC-A0D3-807C5F85671A.jpeg
    195 KB · Views: 21
Back