L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Rumors Panasonic registered two new cameras

Quentinquirelino

Panasonic has made more registrations for new camera in China. Including the still unreleased registered higher end model from September, now there are three unrelated higher end models. Higher end because of the dual band registration. Lower end models, like the G100D, usually getting a single band registration.

Normally it takes about up to three months between registration and announcement of the camera.

The registration from September isn't announced for a little longer now. It's likely th S1R and unannounced because an agreement with Leica that gives Leica some time on the market with the SL3 before Panasonic releases it's version.

For the other two registrations L-rumors is speculating about a smaller, light weight S camera and a GH7. But could also be S1II and S1HII.

What do you think? What do you want to see next From Panasonic?

Personally I would wish it would be S1II and a cheaper, smaller, light weight S camera.

I'm pretty sure you can guess what I'm going to say: a rangefinder style camera. Sean Robinson from Lumix Live keeps saying they don't sell, but Sony seem to think they're worthwhile with the A7Cii and A7CR.

More seriously I'd like to see a Panasonic version of the Leica SL3: a 60MP sensor in a smaller, lighter version of the S1R body. And one specific thing I'd like in any new camera is the ultrasonic sensor dust removal used in the S1 series: every camera I've had with that system has suffered far less from dust problems, while the S5's IBIS sensor shake is useless.

I'm pretty sure you can guess what I'm going to say: a rangefinder style camera. Sean Robinson from Lumix Live keeps saying they don't sell, but Sony seem to think they're worthwhile with the A7Cii and A7CR.
A rangefinder style FF camera does seem to be a commonly-asked for thing. I'm not sure whether I'd go for it or not. If it had the 60Mp sensor, I probably would.
More seriously I'd like to see a Panasonic version of the Leica SL3: a 60MP sensor in a smaller, lighter version of the S1R body. And one specific thing I'd like in any new camera is the ultrasonic sensor dust removal used in the S1 series: every camera I've had with that system has suffered far less from dust problems, while the S5's IBIS sensor shake is useless.
Yeah, that's what I'm waiting for too. I've really bonded with the S1R over the last month or two but would like something a little smaller and lighter.

So, the Lumix version of the Leica SL3...
And I hope that they put in the market a Lumix version of the Sony A7CII and the A7CR. Z04 Discosmilie

And I hope that they put in the market a Lumix version of the Sony A7CII and the A7CR.

That would be great. I am just afraid that Panasonic will not do it because this would be very bad for Leica M and Q3 sales....

Can you imagine a A7CR size Lumix with Sigma i-series lens on it? Who would buy a Leica Q3 or M11 then?

That would be great. I am just afraid that Panasonic will not do it because this would be very bad for Leica M and Q3 sales....

Can you imagine a A7CR size Lumix with Sigma i-series lens on it? Who would buy a Leica Q3 or M11 then?
It depends on the price... Leicas are much more expensive... and they are different type of cameras, the Leica M series play in another championship, and the Q3 is a compact camera... I don't really know if they overlap each other.

Last edited:
I'm sure one of the new ones will be an S1 II, almost certainly very similar to the SL3, so 60MP and smaller than the original S1. I'm not sure if the S1 series will continue or just the R version.

Another may be a more compact camera but with the lack of compact lenses for the L mount I'm not sure how well it'll sell as the whole package will still be big. Hopefully it'll still have a VF and not be screen-only like the Sigmas.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. With Panasonic's "Motion, Picture, Perfect" positioning, I think it's very, very clear that hybrid is top of mind for them. I can't see how this 60Mp sensor can deliver a top-class video platform, so I'd be very surprised if their first S1ii camera is the "R" variant. I suspect that we'll see a 36Mp 8k hybrid S1ii first. 36Mp is enough for 8k and it'll make it easier to deliver faster readout speed with a lower resolution. I think if there is an "R" variant, it'll come later. But I still have a concern that the S1ii will be packaged up like the S5ii with a base plus "X" variant, both having the same 36Mp sensor. That may mean that the high res photo version is delivered only as a Leica model.

Time will tell...

It'll be interesting to see what happens. With Panasonic's "Motion, Picture, Perfect" positioning, I think it's very, very clear that hybrid is top of mind for them. I can't see how this 60Mp sensor can deliver a top-class video platform, so I'd be very surprised if their first S1ii camera is the "R" variant. ...
36 Mpix is not enough for 8k. Or it would be enough, if we are talking about a 17:9 or at least 16:9 sensor. But with a 3:2 sensor we need at least 40 Mpix for 8kUHD. Even more for 8192p.

However, I also think the SL3 sensor doesn't fit a video centred camera. But I think a camera with that exact same sensor from Panasonic is very close. There are already hints on dpreview and from the PetaPixel team, that they already had have that Panasonic camera for testing. Chris and Jordan said they have tested the 28-200 with a high resolution camera there are not aloud to talk about yet and they explicitly called the SL3 best high resolution L-Mount yet. That's why I think, the S1RII or S5IIR is the next camera we will see and I think it will get announced until the end of June. Maybe earlier.

Also I think the other two registrations will be for the S1II and S1HII or S1IIx. Maybe they will get a 45 mpix stacked sensor, similar to the Z8, to enable 8k. But I think for most videographers 8k isn't necessary and maybe Panasonic also is thinking that way an put a fast 30+ MPix sensor in those two bodys. And if I would guess about a announcement time, I would think Panasonic will announce them all together with the S1Rii. Normally cameras get registered only a few months before announcement and I don't think Panasonic will make three independent announcements in the next couple of months for high end bodys. Also I think the body's will be related. So I'm thinking about a complete update of the S1 series on one announcement.

That may mean that the high res photo version is delivered only as a Leica model.

Personally I think they'd be crazy to do that: every other manufacturer has at least one high resolution model in their line up, and Leica simply aren't a realistic alternative. Nor do I think Leica have anything to worry about: they appeal to a completely different sector of the market and appear to be doing very well indeed with the Q3 since demand has been exceeding supply.

I would be already happy with a 24MP sensor in Sony A7c body size. For my kind of shooting, I do not need more than 24 MP.

Back