L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

News S5ii firmware update 3.0 - S5iiX update 2.0

As far as I can remember DPR has been a useless forum for m4/3. I've been meaning to post to Dirk's MFT Community to see if we can get some meaningful conversation.

That is very kind of you. Give me a hint, if I can help to make the MFTcommunity.com site even better..

Nobody knows how long dpreview forums stay this time alive, so the more users know from our MFT island or from dprforum.com already now, the better.

The firmware update is now available.

It installed on my S5M2 quite quickly and smoothly. There is also an updated user manual available for download here.

Release notes:
  1. Compatible with Frame.io Camera to Cloud
    - By connecting the camera to the internet via Wi-Fi, you can upload still images and proxy videos directly to the Frame.io platform.
    * This does not guarantee all of the functions of "Frame.io Camera to Cloud".
  2. [Proxy Recording] function has been added
    - A proxy video with a low bit rate can also be recorded simultaneously during video recording.
  3. [SH PRE] function has been added
    - [SH PRE] function has been added, which enables recording of images for the set amount of time even between when the shutter button is pressed halfway until it is pressed fully when taking SH burst pictures.
  4. Automatic detection function has been enhanced
    - Tracking and recognition performance of human recognition have been improved.
    - It is possible to set [Target Parts] and detect eyes for [ANIMAL].
    - [CAR] and [MOTORCYCLE] have been added to automatic detection.
  5. Enhancement of Image Stabilizer performance
    - [HIGH] has been added to the E-Stabilization (Video) function, which electronically corrects large shakes when shooting on the move.
    - A perspective distortion correction has been added to correct distortion that tends to occur during video recording when using a wide-angle lens.
  6. Other improvement
    - There were cases where coloring such as reddish-purple occurs under certain conditions when shooting in Live View Composite mode. This phenomenon has been fixed.
    - Improved operational stability.

Good they corrected the scarlet fever phenomenon, I was already aware of the rest of it.

The AF improvements are going to be an interesting topic. It probably rightly so got flak for not working as well straight out of the box (like Canon or something) and it's probably still like this.

I wish it didn't have those AF sensitivity settings etc. as I've no idea about how to optimise it and if you change this it is better for certain things and consequently worse for others... I've currently put this on the back burner while I learn other options first but I'd rather it did not require such customisation and then if you can save such separate AF custom settings as a customisation I'll lose the plot and probably not touch it.

Take into consideration I was a recent Pentax DSLR user who used it much like a film camera so I'm still kind of old school, proof being the S5ii has only been used in M mode BUT I love the top left drive dial and I've used the detection and tracking to get good results on first go with Mr/Mrs Cormorant bird.

Maybe we'll see updated reviews besides our own regarding the new firmware in relation to a sports camera? Realistically I'm not expecting Canon R6 ii AF performance but Panasonic should strive for it. As a stills photographer they have given me a brilliant video camera and they have really nailed this and I'm now using video whereas with Pentax it was pathetic.

I'm reiterating this as both sales people in the shop asked me why I chose S5ii over the Nikon Z6ii and both looked bemused when asking me did I do more video and I said "well probably only 30sec clips from a mountain summit or something". So the perception is still that they are better for video than photography but nowadays hybrid means hybrid and modern tech means both are possible. Leica will equally benefit from this too as in great AF stills and video i.e both.

If I think this then I'm sure Panasonic know this x100 and unlike the system I came from actually do listen to customers and want more customers. The S5ii could become their reputable focal point in FF for them and keep selling it for a few years especially if they continue to improve it via firmware and the great deals... £1629 for S5ii with 20-60 and 50mm lenses, but clearly they already know this.

Disclaimer: I could be full of crap to the above but at least it's wishful thinking, as long as they don't start making toy film cameras instead we're OK for future proofing :p

Installed the update, and immediately 1 thing I found weird is when in afc photo mode, when I move the cam it won’t focus on objects, until i press the the focus button. Maybe a setting?

Installed the update, and immediately 1 thing I found weird is when in afc photo mode, when I move the cam it won’t focus on objects, until i press the the focus button. Maybe a setting?
I think the upate resets everything so maybe so.

Not possible as the sensor read-out is not fast enough, a classic hardware limitation. Sony A7 IV or Nikon Z6ii can't either, the Canon R6ii can do it.

I actually prefer the 4k crop mode, I tried it @300mm on the 70-300 and I love the reach. Obviously if you want the widest angle it becomes a limitation, I have a 14mm f2.8 anyway if I need to do 4k 50/60 for 21mm equivalent.
To be more precise, this seems to be a limitation of the read modes in the old sony sensor.
The Canon R6 has similar full sensor-full quality read times, but it has other reading modes (lower q if I remember correctly) that let you read faster.
The same applies to the S1R (panasonic sensor), which has full-width 4k60p, but lineskipped.
Similar flexibility applies to 4k120p in the GH6 and G9ii (MFT) for video, full sensor but no Dynamic range boost.
Hopes are that the S1Rii will have a Panasonic sensor and not the super slow 60MP sony sensor, which has again tons of limitations in the read modes, and very slow read speed.

Just done some quick tests of Animal eye tracking with the new firmware on S52, using Sigma 70-200 2.8 and Panasonic 70-300. Up to now, the Sigma lens has outperformed the Panasonic in autofocus speed and autofocus accuracy when tracking. This update in my first tests has impacted the performance of both lenses, the Sigma not in a good way, it seems although the focus box appears on the eye, it's focussing behind when tracking more often than not. The Panasonic did better in this respect, stickier and more well focussed shots than I've had from it previously.

I don't do video so not able to comment on any changes there.

the Sigma not in a good way, it seems although the focus box appears on the eye, it's focussing behind when tracking more often than not.
That isn't good, wait and see what others say about it or start a thread, I've only read comments from one other user on dpreview who was enthusiastic about the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 on S5ii on the previous firmware, maybe worth asking there?

In general other Sigma lenses were touted as not being as fast with AF as Panasonic lenses, this is just from reading though and not personal experience. But if it has got worse since the firmware update something is fishy :(

As far as I read it, the difference in AF between Sigma and Lumix lenses before the firmware update have been always in video modus with continious AF only. Never in photo modus.

Since the same Sigma lenses focus very fast and very accurate with Sony cameras, I doubt that the firmware update made something worse.

That isn't good, wait and see what others say about it or start a thread, I've only read comments from one other user on dpreview who was enthusiastic about the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 on S5ii on the previous firmware, maybe worth asking there?

In general other Sigma lenses were touted as not being as fast with AF as Panasonic lenses, this is just from reading though and not personal experience. But if it has got worse since the firmware update something is fishy :(
Yes, I have contacted Sigma UK with my findings, they are passing it to Japan for technical response. It could be the lens will need a firmware update. I do have the Sigma dock which enables fine tuning the autofocus but I would rather not try that myself if possible. The performance I have had from the lens to this point using previous firmware has been without doubt, compared to other Sigma, Panasonic and Leica lenses from L mount, the fastest and with a pretty consistent and acceptable hit rate.

So further testing from me and wait on the response from Sigma. I did check the Sigma website and noticed there had been a firmware update for the 70-200 lens last month:

Apparently to improve operational noise during video recording. I had not bothered to update the firmware as I don't do video but I went ahead and updated the lens this afternoon before going out to test again. I've yet to download and check the images, but, checking on the screen I felt I had a better hit rate this afternoon, could be I dialled in the case settings for autofocus a little better.

I will say that even though the Panasonic 70-300 performed better than previously, with animal eye-af, the focus box does find the eye within a certain range but not as quickly or as sticky as the Canon bodies I also use, so again, little steps, every bit of improvement welcome.

You do wonder what happens within the L mount alliance, when Panasonic, Leica or Sigma update their body firmware, if they test that firmware with lenses from other members or not.

As far as I read it, the difference in AF between Sigma and Lumix lenses before the firmware update have been always in video modus with continious AF only. Never in photo modus.

Since the same Sigma lenses focus very fast and very accurate with Sony cameras, I doubt that the firmware update made something worse.
Well before this firmware update, the Sigma in photo mode ( I don't do video - ever) was faster to acquire focus and more accurate, than any of my Panasonic or Leica lenses, now it isn't. So something changed in the firmware.

the focus box does find the eye within a certain range but not as quickly or as sticky as the Canon bodies I also use
Hi Jayne, which Canon bodies?

Typical, today no birds have appeared to test the new firmware out. Maybe I'll try the Discovery Channel on TV :p

Hi Jayne, which Canon bodies?

Typical, today no birds have appeared to test the new firmware out. Maybe I'll try the Discovery Channel on TV :p
R6II and R7. The autofocus on the Canon's is great, although the R7 can drift on and off occasionally. My preference though is for the ergonomics, menu's, knobs, dials, colour science on the Lumix body so for now I muddle on using both systems.

Just done some quick tests of Animal eye tracking with the new firmware on S52, using Sigma 70-200 2.8 and Panasonic 70-300. Up to now, the Sigma lens has outperformed the Panasonic in autofocus speed and autofocus accuracy when tracking. This update in my first tests has impacted the performance of both lenses, the Sigma not in a good way, it seems although the focus box appears on the eye, it's focussing behind when tracking more often than not. The Panasonic did better in this respect, stickier and more well focussed shots than I've had from it previously.

I don't do video so not able to comment on any changes there.
I just received the Sigma 50mm f/1.2, and did a few photos already. It focuses quickly and tracks well. I did just a couple of animal eye tracking shots and it focused right on the eye. So at least for that Sigma lens it worked well.

And it tracks well with video.

Hi everyone, I have updated my firmware on my S5 markII this morning by downloading update file, copying to an SD card and then transferring to camera. Everything seems okay until I received an email a couple hours after from Panasonic with installation instructions. I have never before had to put my camera into P mode and single shot. I don't know if this makes a difference to the camera update, but time will tell. My camera was in Aperture priority and Caf at the time of update.

How to update your LUMIX product?
STEP 1
Download Firmware
  1. Visit our global firmware support site here.
  2. Scroll down and accept the license agreement.
  3. Select the latest firmware for your product and follow the download instructions.
Please note:
  1. The battery must be fully charged.
  2. Put your camera into 'P Mode' and 'Single Shot Shooting Mode' before activating the firmware update.
  3. Do not turn off the camera during the entire installation process.
%7B9f472774-77c8-43eb-9e85-70d5ec4b5e20%7D_PAN_Firmwre_Image_1_180x150px.png
%7B9328ba51-ddea-45da-afca-bb1f6af08007%7D_PAN_Firmwre_Image_2_180x150px.png

Last edited:
Back