L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Share your photos with legacy lenses

Panasonic Lumix S1R + Voigtländer 40mm f/2 Ultron SLII-S (Nikon F Mount) +K&F Mount Adapter NIK(G)-FX Manual Focus:

P1089811-5.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S1R
  • 1/800 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

P1089813-3.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S1R
  • 1/1000 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

These were taken with my only Konica lens - a 40mm f/1.8
I like the 40/1.8 a fair bit, tho I’ve not really managed any pics I love with it on L-mount; all my favorites so far have been on M4/3. It does rely on good lighting, in my experience; the pics I’ve taken in shadow have been lackluster.

I also really like the 100/2.8 - which I got by accident, as the eBay listing was for a 28/3.5 and the label ring reflected that. ^^;; The 65-135/4 is large, but also quite nice. And the two 35-70s I’ve used have been good: the f/4 has nice IQ and very solid build, but is also large and heavy… while the f/3.5-4.5 macro is a cheap plastic build, but that makes it very small/light and a good match for the Sigma fp, and the IQ is surprisingly good.

Other Hexanons I’ve used and liked, but don’t stand out as much for me: the 57/1.4, 28/3.5, 135/3.5, and 50/1.4.

This highlights one of the things I like most about Hexanons - rich color and high contrast.

I like the 40/1.8 a fair bit, tho I’ve not really managed any pics I love with it on L-mount; all my favorites so far have been on M4/3. It does rely on good lighting, in my experience; the pics I’ve taken in shadow have been lackluster.

I also really like the 100/2.8 - which I got by accident, as the eBay listing was for a 28/3.5 and the label ring reflected that. ^^;; The 65-135/4 is large, but also quite nice. And the two 35-70s I’ve used have been good: the f/4 has nice IQ and very solid build, but is also large and heavy… while the f/3.5-4.5 macro is a cheap plastic build, but that makes it very small/light and a good match for the Sigma fp, and the IQ is surprisingly good.

Other Hexanons I’ve used and liked, but don’t stand out as much for me: the 57/1.4, 28/3.5, 135/3.5, and 50/1.4.

This highlights one of the things I like most about Hexanons - rich color and high contrast.
This is the only one I've ever owned and only because I wanted a 40mm since I sold my 40mm and 43mm Pentaxes. I did have my eye on a 100/2.8 for a while but I don't need yet another mount to fill out... But most things I've read about the Hexanons have been good and they're relatively cheap compared to CaNikon as they're much less known. I got a cheap film SLR with the 40mm but I haven't used it yet.

This is the only one I've ever owned and only because I wanted a 40mm since I sold my 40mm and 43mm Pentaxes. I did have my eye on a 100/2.8 for a while but I don't need yet another mount to fill out... But most things I've read about the Hexanons have been good and they're relatively cheap compared to CaNikon as they're much less known. I got a cheap film SLR with the 40mm but I haven't used it yet.
Awww... you've already got the adapter now, what's a few more lenses? :)

A few samples:

20220619-SDIM1273.jpg
  • Hexanon 50/1.4
  • 50.0 mm
  • 1/60 sec
  • Pattern
  • ISO 200

Sigma fp, Hexanon 50/1.4

20220530-SDIM0985.jpg
  • Hexanon 35-70/3.5-4.5 Macro
  • 52.5 mm
  • 1/400 sec
  • Pattern
  • ISO 100

Sigma fp, Hexanon 35-75/3.5-4.5 Macro

20220530-SDIM1018.jpg
  • Hexanon 35-70/3.5-4.5 Macro
  • 52.5 mm
  • 1/500 sec
  • Pattern
  • ISO 100

Sigma fp, Hexanon 35-70/3.5-4.5 Macro

20220509-SDIM0468.jpg
  • Hexanon 57/1.4
  • 57.0 mm
  • 1/640 sec
  • Pattern
  • ISO 100

Sigma fp, Hexanon 57/1.4

20230207-P1000661.jpg
  • NO-LENS
  • 1/500 sec
  • Pattern
  • ISO 100

Lumix S5, Hexanon 65-135/4

20230615-P1011456.jpg
  • NO-LENS
  • 1/640 sec
  • Pattern
  • ISO 100

Missed the focus, but an example of how lovely Hexanon colors are.

20230615-P1011483.jpg
  • NO-LENS
  • 1/125 sec
  • Pattern
  • ISO 160

Attachments

• 20230708-SDIM6288.jpg
    EXIF
    20230708-SDIM6288.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 6
20240127-P1011977.jpg
  • NO-LENS
  • 1/125 sec
  • Pattern
  • ISO 6400

Lumix S5, Kiron 80-200/4.5 Macro

To backtrack a bit, this is the kind of low-light conditions the Hexanon 40/1.8 didn't do well in, for me.

I've tried several Vivitar 28's, and had very mixed experiences. This one - the f/2.5 made by Kiron - is one of my favorites, but even there my first copy didn't grab me at all. It's a very distinctive lens, with a widely flared filter ring that seems much larger than the front element would seem to dictate; https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/vivitar-28mm-f2-5.html has some pics.

My first copy had muddy colors and an overall mushy look. The second copy was bought more-or-less on a whim - I saw it sitting alone on a shelf at an estate sale giving off a forlorn puppy-dog-eyes feeling, so I picked it up without knowing for sure what I'd do with it. My first outing with it was at an auto museum, and it grabbed me with the way it rendered subtle tonal shading; the glossy shade of waxed paint on the VW bus above, or the gleam on the nose of a Lockheed Electra at the TWA Museum at the KC Downtown Airport:

The copy above is one I picked up recently; it was only $10, it would be nice to have a backup, and it was also nice to have a copy in OM mount (the first good copy is in Minolta SR). Haven't had a chance to test the gloss yet, but it did a nice job with the sky.

The Vivitar 28mm you want for artist brush painted bokeh-tastic flower photography is the following and I have a truly mint version in K-mount:

It does have a green cast and low contrast at f2 but you can make it work well. I have examples but taken on Pentax, I'm still waiting on the Lumix to arrive.

I thought Jonathan owned this as he reviewed it?

I owned a 28mm f2.8 M42 version also but while it was nice it didn't do the unique bokeh the above f2 version did and I sold it for £11

The Vivitar 28mm you want for artist brush painted bokeh-tastic flower photography is the following and I have a truly mint version in K-mount:

It does have a green cast and low contrast at f2 but you can make it work well. I have examples but taken on Pentax, I'm still waiting on the Lumix to arrive.

I thought Jonathan owned this as he reviewed it?

I owned a 28mm f2.8 M42 version also but while it was nice it didn't do the unique bokeh the above f2 version did and I sold it for £11
I have both the Kiron and the Komine variants, which I think are the only two there are. I also quite recently got the f/2.8 version of the Komine but haven't used it much. I do remember seeing a bit of a green cast on the f/2 Komine when I did a comparison of a few 28mm lenses years ago but of course auto-WB or a bit of tinkering should sort that out on digital. I really should get around to doing a better comparison of the two f/2s beyond stating that in terms of sharpness they're more or less equal.

Sorry for the use of a Pentax K-70 APSC camera but as yet I have no L-MOUNT-ALLIANCE camera to show the (Vivitar 28mm f2.0 Close Focus made by Komine) yet

I could only find these few, I think 2 of them are wide open and one maybe stopped down but not sure. The bokeh will be more bokehey on FF when Panasonic makes a 24-105 f4 for me and sends me a S5ii along with it to attach the Vivitar to, but I am looking forward to Spring to use it again. I don't know about you but I love it

Attachments

• _K702894.jpeg
    EXIF
    _K702894.jpeg
    165.9 KB · Views: 4
  • _K702895.jpeg
    EXIF
    _K702895.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 5
  • _K702893.jpeg
    EXIF
    _K702893.jpeg
    189.1 KB · Views: 5
The Takumar 55mm f1.8 is probably one of the nicer legacy Pentaxes. I have the K version which I think has the same optics. I got it with a body I can't remember which for £10 or something.

The Takumar 55mm f1.8 is probably one of the nicer legacy Pentaxes. I have the K version which I think has the same optics. I got it with a body I can't remember which for £10 or something.
I agree entirely. The 55mm is much nicer than the 50/1.4 in my opinion and I have sold three Takumar 50/1.4s as I prefer the 55mm. I had a K version but it wasn't very sharp so I sold it.

I agree entirely. The 55mm is much nicer than the 50/1.4 in my opinion and I have sold three Takumar 50/1.4s as I prefer the 55mm. I had a K version but it wasn't very sharp so I sold it.
If I remember rightly mine was very good, maybe you got a bad one. Unfortunately I can't try it again yet as I'm now waiting 3 weeks and could be more than a month to receive this new camera.

I have both the Kiron and the Komine variants, which I think are the only two there are. I also quite recently got the f/2.8 version of the Komine but haven't used it much.

Since ye are talking about these lenses, I should confess to being the author of the Great Vivitar 28mm Bestiary, which I compiled with the help of folk over on the Pentax Forum. As such I have at least nine different 28mm manual lenses for Pentax mounts (TX, M42, K, KA). Six of these are Vivitars.

If you are looking at f/2 aperture there are a few choices. In M42 there is a Komine and two Kiron variants that are branded Vivitar. In K Mount there is a Komine and three Kiron variants. For KA there is only a single Komine (which is identical otherwise to the K lens).

There is also a Kino Precision lens, made by Kiron. It's very similar to the Vivitar offerings. And finally the famous Vivitar Series 1 28mm f/1.9 made by Tokina, available in both M42 and K-mount.

I haven't used any of these on my Panasonic body, since I am somewhat fixated on Zeiss lenses. Including the Zeiss collaboration SMS Pentax 28mm f/2, which is my current lens of choice in this focal range. But once spring comes, I can see myself doing a comparison.

And I thought I was a 28mm nutter owning 7 of them one time :⁠-⁠)

I now only own the Vivitar f2 Close Focus and the K28 f3.5

I also have a K24 f3.5 which is quite rare but you probably own that too.

I know that F2 Zeiss collaboration well, very exotic indeed in Pentax land going for around £500 or so a while back.

Back