L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Sigma 1.4/20Art or Lumix 1.8/18?

RBecker

With the actual offers from both companies in Germany, I would like to extend my bag by a fast wide angle for astrophotography. Any results with these lenses out there?
My feeling says, the Sigma Art is the better option for this job, the Lumix is cheaper and has the same size like the 1.8/50 I own…
Iˋm talking about the Sigma DG DN! The older HSM is available with huge rebates (below 500€), but it is much older, no filter and weighs like a tank ;-)

Richard Wong on YT has a good review of the 18. Worth a watch. It does have some coma unless you stop it down.

The Sigma is basically designed for astro. If I were buying a lens specifically for astro, it would be on my short list, for sure. Unless I commonly hiked significant distances up hills to get to the shoot locations. Even then I'd probably be willing to carry the weight.

I love my Sigma 14-24 F2.8 for astro, but if I could, I'd get the new fast Sigma primes and be done with it. I do have their older 28mm F1.4, and when you shoot astro at wider apertures, it really reduces your exposure time, and can make post processing much easier (a two-minute, tracked exposure at F1.4 or even F2.0 gives me great results - no stacking required).

So I'd vote for the Sigma, if you can tolerate the weight & cost. A jewel of a lens.

With the actual offers from both companies in Germany, I would like to extend my bag by a fast wide angle for astrophotography. Any results with these lenses out there?
My feeling says, the Sigma Art is the better option for this job, the Lumix is cheaper and has the same size like the 1.8/50 I own…
Iˋm talking about the Sigma DG DN! The older HSM is available with huge rebates (below 500€), but it is much older, no filter and weighs like a tank ;-)
Greetings, I have the Sigma 20mm F1.4 DG DN and I use it with the S1R and its sharpness has me in love, I use it for both photography and timelapse and it is one of my best purchases, it is true that it is somewhat heavy and even more so with this camera but I always try to carry the necessary material and not a full backpack, if you can afford it I encourage you to buy it, it is a very good objective

Offers differ in different geographies but here in Europe the 20/1.4 Art is one of a selection of Sigma lenses that have €100 off at the moment.

I just received the Sigma. It is much lighter then expected, especially in comparison to the 28 am 40 Art I also own. The new 20 Art seems to be quite lightweight, if you compare it to the others…
The weather is extremly bad, so no chance to test it. Maye next weekend, but the moon is getting brighter.

Now I have to wait one month until I can process the cashback. you have to wait 1 month after buying before you can do this…

Back