L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DN DG OS L mount

Yup. 1.4x will do just fine.
Then you're at 560mm and f8.

Why not just get the Sigma 150-600 in the first place instead of messing about with teleconverters, 1 stop darker and worse autofocus? I can't see the sense in that as you're clearly more interested in the long end and not the potential of missing 100-150.

Then you're at 560mm and f8.

Why not just get the Sigma 150-600 in the first place instead of messing about with teleconverters, 1 stop darker and worse autofocus? I can't see the sense in that as you're clearly more interested in the long end and not the potential of missing 100-150.
The weight of the 150-600 was just too much for me these days with my advancing years. Especially dragging kit, lunch and it across muddy fields. Usually 400mm is sufficient and no problem with f8 (if the rain ever stops for a while) but a TC would give a useful option at times.

70-300 has 11 aperture blades but there is no bokeh to speak of in those first 3 photos you don't like. The bokeh looks fine to me in the last 2 photos when you created bokeh.

I don't think there is a single L-mount lens that has harsh bokeh as it's too new and they completely understand it nowadays, older or pre-mirrorless cheap DSLR lenses could do nasty stuff alright and really ruin a photo.
Wide open, the number of aperture blades is irrelevant!

Wide open, the number of aperture blades is irrelevant!
Yeah I just realised 4/5 photos were at f6.3 (wide open on the Sigma) and 1 at f11. When I see f6.3 I'm thinking it was stopped down.

It's hard to see when doing everything online on a phone (not sure if you all do this) but it's not good. Anyway pinching fully in on the wolf I can see a bit of geometric bokeh on the left, probably some interaction of the lens, leaves shape, distance and focal point but in general it looks fine to me.

I'm gonna need a bigger screen Z04 Computer Haukaputt

I moved the PC/monitor discussion in to its own thread, so this lens thread is easier to follow:

Edit : deleted pc monitor reply, now in proper thread.... Good decision Dirk to move that as it went totally off topic

Last edited:
Edit : deleted pc monitor reply, now in proper thread.... Good decision Dirk to move that as it went totally off topic

Yes. But off topic is normal, so do not worry. Thanks to the forum software we are using, it is a lot easier to keep the threads clean if a discussion should become too much off topic than with the forum software of dpreview ;)

@pdk42

What are your thoughts after using the Sigma 100-400 vs. your Lumix 70-300?
I think the 100-400 is about the same potential sharpness as the 70-300, but I find that the focus accuracy on subjects near to infinity is much more reliable on the Sigma. That was my slight complaint with the 70-300 - for landscape type shooting I found that the focus would wander slightly on distant objects, sometime focussing beyond infinity resulting in an unusable image. I suspect it's a characteristic of the focus design that tiny adjustments are needed near infinity focus and so sometimes it was slightly off.

That doesn't seem the case with the Sigma which always seems to focus reliably. I even found that it works well with the "1-zone" focus point at its smallest setting. In the earlier thread I did on the 70-300 focus accuracy, I discussed how I found that this focus mode returned much less consistent results than pin-point AF with that lens.

But, in the end I returned the 100-400! As @Quentinquirelino pointed out, the main issue I have with bigger lenses is their size. So, I'm now patiently waiting to see if the 28-200 delivers the goods. Either that or wait for a Sigma 70-200 f4-f5.6 or such like.

Back