L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Sigma 100-400mm + TC2011

All shot at f13, first photo at ISO 1250, rest between 2000-2500.
Very basic edition in Lightroom (adjusted exposure, raised shadows, increased contrast, etc)

Which camera body? Bound to be some impact from atmospheric I guess but look good to me.. I use the 100-400 with the 1.4 and am always happy with results, not been tempted by the x2 yet;).

Which camera body? Bound to be some impact from atmospheric I guess but look good to me.. I use the 100-400 with the 1.4 and am always happy with results, not been tempted by the x2 yet;).
Panasonic Lumix S5 (1st gen).

Yes, there is some impact from atmospheric as Cartagena de Indias is very hot and humid.

On another topic, I'm tempted to get the Sigma 105mm macro that is also compatible with their teleconverters. I've read that the lens is so sharp that is stills quite sharp with teleconverters.

Yes, there is some impact from atmospheric as Cartagena de Indias is very hot and humid.

On another topic, I'm tempted to get the Sigma 105mm macro that is also compatible with their teleconverters. I've read that the lens is so sharp that is stills quite sharp with teleconverters.
Yes, it's a cracking lens, and useful for much more than just Macro.. I know the TC's do fit, haven't got round to using mine with one yet.

Great photos! :)
I see you use a Sigma FP L... Do you miss the IBIS?
Thanks.. I can't honestly say I miss IBIS using the FpL. It certainly isn't a "do-it-all" camera but I love the files it produces, and it pairs really well with Sigma's smaller contemporary i-series lenses and some of their aps-c offerings like the 18-50 and 23 and 56 1.4's, still have 26mp's in a nice small package.

I also use the combination of the new Sigma 2x teleconverter and the new Sigma 105mm macro. It works really well! And it's still a small package for a 210mm/f5.6 with very high quality. I bought it for zoo photography and it did a very good job! I can use the 105 /f2.8 for indoors and the 210mm for outdoors and can easily crop the 210mm on my fpL to 500mm and still have enough resolution to print on A3 size. A month ago I switched to the Sigma 100-400mm for more reach but with a slight loss of quality.

I also use the combination of the new Sigma 2x teleconverter and the new Sigma 105mm macro. It works really well! And it's still a small package for a 210mm/f5.6 with very high quality. I bought it for zoo photography and it did a very good job! I can use the 105 /f2.8 for indoors and the 210mm for outdoors and can easily crop the 210mm on my fpL to 500mm and still have enough resolution to print on A3 size. A month ago I switched to the Sigma 100-400mm for more reach but with a slight loss of quality.
Thanks for the info! Definitely the Sigma 105mm is a very tempting lens :p

I have this combination as well. The biggest problem I have found is dust on the sensor, it shows in the pictures. You have to keep the sensor very clean. 240112-132933-11968.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2X
  • 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Contemporary 020
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/800 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 400

Cleaning the sensor isn´t rocket science. Your bird only needs a little post production;)
BTT: I wasn´t happy with the performance of the 100-400 & TC-2011. Replaced it by the 150-600 which is way sharper, even with TC-1411.
However, some usable pics came out.
PS5_4104_Dx0.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5
  • 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Sports 021 + TC-2011
  • 1,200.0 mm
  • ƒ/13
  • 1/500 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 4000

Back