L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Solar

CharlesH

LMF-Patron Gold
There is a solar eclipse in North America tomorrow. it will be a full eclipse from parts of Mexico up through Eastern Canada. But here in California it will just be a bite. Nevertheless I'm trying to figure out how to get a shot of that. Does anyone have experience with solar eclipse shots?

I took some practice shots of the full sun today to see what's possible. This is hand held with the 70-300mm lens at 300mm, and a stack of three 0.9 ND filters, at 1/8000 second and f/22. I can just get the sun so it isn't over exposed. There are some sun spots but that's about it. This is cropped to 1239 x 1234 pixels. If I get anything worthwhile of the eclipse I'll post it tomorrow.

Sun.jpg

Congratulations you have photographed sunspots, I think Galileo supposedly first seen these, if you want to learn more about them go to spaceweather.com. They are more interesting than the partial eclipse you will try and photograph in which there be 500 million photos appearing soon. It may be worth it to just view it instead and a partial eclipse is not spectacular either way, I did this in 1999.

Here in this part of Ireland we get a 28% solar eclipse tomorrow at 20:10.GMT. I could go up the mountain tomorrow evening and try and photograph it as an exposure bracketed landscape photo close to the horizon but the weather forecast is rain and I'm only slightly interested. The sun by itself with a bit covered... I don't know if it's a bucket list thing or because everyone else is doing it but I don't see the point, and others with pro astronomy gear will do a far better job.

We'll be sick listening to it all in 24 hours time Z04 WifeZ04 Zeter01Z04 Head WallZ04 HaudraufZ04 Smileys26Z04 HeadbangerZ04 Motzer

Congratulations you have photographed sunspots, I think Galileo supposedly first seen these, if you want to learn more about them go to spaceweather.com
Ha ha, I just want to see what the S5II and the 100-300mm can do.

Yes, real space scientists would probably laugh. The closest I get, I'm an advisor to the University of Colorado department of aerospace sciences, where 20 of our graduates are former or current astronauts, and where you can get an advanced degree in space weather.

There is an outstanding sun telescope in Science City at the top of Mt. Haleakala on the island of Maui, Hawaii. This is at 10,000 feet (3048 meters), with clear Pacific sky . This is the Inouye Solar Telescope - scientists there study the sun's surface in great detail. I, on the other hand, go to Maui quite a bit and then to Science City late at night to shoot the Milky Way. I expect the real space scientists laugh.

Back