L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Which Samsung SSDs for video?

robin0112358

Samsung is a popular choice for SSDs since they are cheap and readily available. But these devices are made for consumer use, not professional video. Here's what you need to know... stuff Samsung doesn't tell you. Read the full details or simply buy the Samsung T7 Shield over other models.

P.S. Yet another thread that doesn't fit in either "lens or "body" forums.

In an earlier post I had also recommended the T7 Shield over the T7. However in the mean time I have tested the T7 with 5.7K ProRes 30p 422 HQ, and this performed flawlessly from start to filling the 2TB SSD (about one hour). A key is overheating, and the T7 did not overheat with this test. I'm not currently using BRAW so I've not done the same test, but I would not hesitate using the T7 with ProRes.

In an earlier post I had also recommended the T7 Shield over the T7. However in the mean time I have tested the T7 with 5.7K ProRes 30p 422 HQ, and this performed flawlessly from start to filling the 2TB SSD (about one hour). A key is overheating, and the T7 did not overheat with this test. I'm not currently using BRAW so I've not done the same test, but I would not hesitate using the T7 with ProRes.

It's wonderful the drive works for you under your current conditions. For you there's no compelling reason to run out and replace it.

But the drive just might be working at the limits of its ability. And if you shoot a different scene... boom! Or if you move to a different codec or camera in the future you may need to replace the slower media. That's annoying.

T7 (plain) is not recommended by vendors for a reason. And the price difference between models is only €20 (for 2TB).

I would never recommend the inferior product under these circumstances.

I also have a copy of the SanDisk Pro-Blade SSD MAG. This is the SSD that will fit in the Kondor Blue SSD handle if that thing is ever released. This SSD has fantastic response on the Blackmagic Disk Speed Test, and I expect it will perform great with video recording, but I haven't done any video with it yet. The problem with this and most SSDs is they are difficult to mount on a camera. I spent about two hours trying to hack up a decent mounting for it - I got it mounted after disassembling and drilling a Pro-Blade Transport to hold it, but it was so awkward I did not shoot any video . If/when the Kondor Blue handle shows up I'll try it again.

Almost all SSD camera mounts are based on using the Samsung T5 or T7, so most people are going to use them by default. I think there's a market for something that will mount the SanDisk Pro-Blade, and hopefully others beside Kondor Blue will do this.

When I have time I'll try filling the T7 with BRAW video. But BRAW is a pretty easy codec so I don't expect it to fail. The Blackmagic Video Assist will record to BRAW on an SD card after all.

My real beef is the S5IIx should have a CFexpress B card. My GH6 has this and it is so much nicer for ProRes. And Panasonic just announced they are releasing BRAW for the GH6, so it may not be dead yet.

Did yours arrive yet?
Yes, I like it. I use a SmallRig cage and the Kondor Blue handle mounts on that. That is pretty much my standard configuration with the S5IIx. One issue, the DMW-XLR1 will not fit under the handle, so I don't have 4 channel audio.

I ordered this directly from Kondor Blue and it shipped pretty quickly. Previously I had ordered it from B&H and they still do not have it available.

And Panasonic just announced they are releasing BRAW for the GH6, so it may not be dead yet.
So I installed the GH6 update for BRAW. What a disappointment after working with BRAW on the S5IIx. Add a great codec to a limited sensor and it is still a limited sensor. So it got me thinking about the value of the GH6 which I had kept as a backup to the S5IIx, and for when I wanted telephoto without the size and weight of full frame lenses.

That plus I also wanted a smaller camera. I was on a very tough mountain hike a few months back and even the S5II with the 20-60mm felt too heavy. I thought about the Leica Q3; a really nice camera, but still a little larger than I had in mind. The Fuji X100V is small enough, but it is really popular and hard to get, and I don't have any experience with Fuji. I finally settled on the new Sony a6700, with the 10-20mm lens. It is smaller than the Q3, not as small as the X100V, but I have lots of experience with Sony aps-c cameras, including pure video cameras. And I can do some lens swapping with my A1. The sensor capability is sort of half way between full frame and m43. So my lineup is now S5IIx-S5II-A1-a6700, and the drone. (All the m43 gear is gone.)

All ready for a scenic vacation, with the S5IIx mostly for video and the a6700 mostly for hiking, and both are good hybrid cameras, plus the drone for great effects. Fate was not on our side. Our plan was Hawaii, the island of Maui. We have been there each of the last 40 years. But two days before our flight, catastrophic fires took out the historic town of Lahaina in West Maui, our destination. All travel to that area was cancelled. The death toll from the fire is already 110 people, with over 1,000 still missing. I have two feelings about this. The first is thankful that I was not there. The second, if I was there I could have documented the disaster and chaos. There is still no communications to the area and I would know if my friends there are okay, and how I could help rebuild their lives. Man plans .....

The situation in Maui sounds horrific. I visited only once about 25 years ago, such a beautiful place. Having experienced bush fires here in Australia, which is a very dry continent, over my lifetime, I just find it incredible that there can be such destructive fires in tropical places like Hawaii. I hope your friends are ok.

Regarding your comments on the GH6, I've wondered exactly where that camera fits in now that the S5II and S5IIx have been released and received so well. I know the M4/3 tele lenses are smaller/lighter, but there is no getting around the sensor limitations.

So I installed the GH6 update for BRAW. What a disappointment after working with BRAW on the S5IIx. Add a great codec to a limited sensor and it is still a limited sensor. So it got me thinking about the value of the GH6 which I had kept as a backup to the S5IIx, and for when I wanted telephoto without the size and weight of full frame lenses.

That plus I also wanted a smaller camera. I was on a very tough mountain hike a few months back and even the S5II with the 20-60mm felt too heavy. I thought about the Leica Q3; a really nice camera, but still a little larger than I had in mind. The Fuji X100V is small enough, but it is really popular and hard to get, and I don't have any experience with Fuji. I finally settled on the new Sony a6700, with the 10-20mm lens. It is smaller than the Q3, not as small as the X100V, but I have lots of experience with Sony aps-c cameras, including pure video cameras. And I can do some lens swapping with my A1. The sensor capability is sort of half way between full frame and m43. So my lineup is now S5IIx-S5II-A1-a6700, and the drone. (All the m43 gear is gone.)

All ready for a scenic vacation, with the S5IIx mostly for video and the a6700 mostly for hiking, and both are good hybrid cameras, plus the drone for great effects. Fate was not on our side. Our plan was Hawaii, the island of Maui. We have been there each of the last 40 years. But two days before our flight, catastrophic fires took out the historic town of Lahaina in West Maui, our destination. All travel to that area was cancelled. The death toll from the fire is already 110 people, with over 1,000 still missing. I have two feelings about this. The first is thankful that I was not there. The second, if I was there I could have documented the disaster and chaos. There is still no communications to the area and I would know if my friends there are okay, and how I could help rebuild their lives. Man plans .....
Wow, this was a rollercoaster! Glad you were not stuck there in the fires and chaos. I would love to pray for your friends. Is it okay if I ask you to PM me with more details?

Back