L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Lumix 28-200

Here some examples I shot... Just found out that i shot all at ISO 640 :confused:, sorry (normally I shoot only video in VLOG, 640 is the base ISO for that).

All RAWs and more examples are found here:

P1002800.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2X
  • LUMIX S 28-200/F4-7.1
  • 32.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1300 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 640

P1002886.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2X
  • LUMIX S 28-200/F4-7.1
  • 85.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/2500 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 640

P1002899.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2X
  • LUMIX S 28-200/F4-7.1
  • 28.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/5000 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 640

P1002905.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2X
  • LUMIX S 28-200/F4-7.1
  • 77.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1300 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 640

P1002910.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2X
  • LUMIX S 28-200/F4-7.1
  • 194.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/800 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 640

Last edited by a moderator:
Some more from these examples here:

I really like this lens. Light, good stabilization and perfect for travel. The IQ is for me more than good enough, but like I said a zillion times, normally I shoot mostly video.
If you wonder these pictures were taken:

I live in Hoorn, a old city at the northwestern part of the Netherlands.

Attachments

• P1002929.jpg
    EXIF
    P1002929.jpg
    428.5 KB · Views: 19
  • P1002912.jpg
    EXIF
    P1002912.jpg
    564.1 KB · Views: 20
  • P1002884.jpg
    EXIF
    P1002884.jpg
    584 KB · Views: 21
  • P1002876.jpg
    EXIF
    P1002876.jpg
    411.9 KB · Views: 21
  • P1002863.jpg
    EXIF
    P1002863.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 18
Some more from these examples here:

I really like this lens. Light, good stabilization and perfect for travel. The IQ is for me more than good enough, but like I said a zillion times, normally I shoot mostly video.
If you wonder these pictures were taken:

I live in Hoorn, a old city at the northwestern part of the Netherlands.
And 5 more, here are the RAWS: 28200 (and sorry for the 640 ISO Z04 Flucht)
And ofcourse shooting at noon on a bright sunny day is ofcourse not the most flattering, but at sunset I don't have time today and I wanted to test it out

Attachments

• P1002789.jpg
    EXIF
    P1002789.jpg
    496.8 KB · Views: 20
  • P1002863.jpg
    EXIF
    P1002863.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 17
  • P1002871.jpg
    EXIF
    P1002871.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 23
  • P1002890.jpg
    EXIF
    P1002890.jpg
    569.2 KB · Views: 25
  • P1002904.jpg
    EXIF
    P1002904.jpg
    413 KB · Views: 25
The photos look great Nevyn! You must be really happy with the new lens!

The photos look great Nevyn! You must be really happy with the new lens!
Thank you, and I am. My Wife and I are going for a short vacation the coming days, then I'll try it out for video.

The 28-200 looks like a better performer than I was expecting based on the RAW images you have kindly shared - thank you.
Certainly something to consider as an all in one walk about/travel lens solution.

Today I did some tests with video. Not a lot because we were mistly traveling and getting settled, but the first tests are very very promising.

Even at 200mm with APS-C crop, with the new E-stabilazation at high I got very good quality... Sharpness will improve even more when I put the shuttle angle to 90 instead of 180 (and fix that in post).

But than you can get very stable 300mm handheld footage.

Incredible impressive

Sharpness will improve even more when I put the shuttle angle to 90 instead of 180 (and fix that in post).
I am, most here are lost here with shutter angle. All I do is press the red button, video is set at 4k50
But than you can get very stable 300mm handheld footage.
It's incredible at 300mm on 70-300 getting ~eq 420-450mm so yes indeed. For this alone it is an absolute gem of a camera! I've still to experiment more with panning despite Sean Robinson from Lumix Live saying it isn't designed for it, only stationary use only.

I am, most here are lost here with shutter angle. All I do is press the red button, video is set at 4k50

It's incredible at 300mm on 70-300 getting ~eq 420-450mm so yes indeed. For this alone it is an absolute gem of a camera! I've still to experiment more with panning despite Sean Robinson from Lumix Live saying it isn't designed for it, only stationary use only.
Shutter Angle is a calculation of the shutter time. It has to do with old shutters in video cameras, but I won't explain all this. There are good tutorials about it online.

The short version : 1/ ((360/'shutter angle')*framerate) = the shutter speed.
In your case with a framerate of 50, and a shutter angle of 180, you get a shutter speed of 1/((360/180)*50) = 1/(2*50) = 1/100th.

In my case with a framerate of 25, and a shutter angle of 180, you get a shutter speed of ((360/180)*25) = 1/(2*25) = 1/50th.
A shutter angle of 180 is recommended to get the most fluid video (motion blur). You can set it lower but normally this would made it more jittery.
However, with E-Stabilization (in post or in camera) you can get artifacts due to motion blur, and a quicker shutter speed is recommended).

So I might go to 1/100th or even quicker to remove that, but than add motion blur in post to let it be smoother.

In your case: with a framerate of 1/50th you already have a shutter speed of 1/100th (when using the standard shutter angle of 180) and it might not be necessarily.

But do note that in normal use you use a shutter speed which is twice as high as I do, meaning I get twice as much light on the sensor and can use a lower ISO. This is good in low light situations, but I'll need a ND-filter when you had already a good exposure.
Hope this makes it a bit clear.

Those shots you made available for download look pretty good to me. I downloaded a few, ran them through my favourite raw processer, and they're more than fine. Are they the sharpest shots I've ever seen in my life? No, but they're pretty damn good. Much much better than what the clowns at DPreview managed with their sample shots in Japan. It would be interesting to see some out around the 150, 180, 200mm mark. Anyway, thanks for posting them up.

Those shots you made available for download look pretty good to me. I downloaded a few, ran them through my favourite raw processer, and they're more than fine. Are they the sharpest shots I've ever seen in my life? No, but they're pretty damn good. Much much better than what the clowns at DPreview managed with their sample shots in Japan. It would be interesting to see some out around the 150, 180, 200mm mark. Anyway, thanks for posting them up.
Thank you, and yeah I was surprised also. Because I'm definitely not a expert in photos, video is my thing.

Much much better than what the clowns at DPreview managed with their sample shots in Japan.
Yes, the DPR sample photos were underwhelming. It looks like they were done in a hurry in order have something for the S5II/x camera review, which arrived about 15 months after the camera was released. Most were SOOC jpeg taken in what looked like one afternoon/evening session.

Yes, the DPR sample photos were underwhelming. It looks like they were done in a hurry in order have something for the S5II/x camera review, which arrived about 15 months after the camera was released. Most were SOOC jpeg taken in what looked like one afternoon/evening session.
With absolutely zero thought gone into any of the settings used

I got my copy just before the weekend- but I could not go out and test it outdoors.
However, I did test the macro.
What stood out is that, at least at 28mm, macro distance, the stabilization seems to do almost no good. I had to go to SS of 1/40 to get really sharp results.
Can anyone reproduce or invalidate these results? One of the good points I expected was shots at around 1sec SS for dusk walks.

Can anyone reproduce or invalidate these results?
I use a tripod for macro with that lens. As a normal 100mm the IBIS helps some, but nothing like 1 sec shots,

I had to go to SS of 1/40 to get really sharp results
If you are pixel peeping to check for uber sharpness it could require that, it all depends how shaky you are and others but I'd have thought a lower SS speed would be possible. I could try that with my 24-105 to see what I can do?

Today I downloaded the raws, thank you for that! They are a lot better then the Fuji XF18-135 I used for a while on my X-S10 (27-200 eq), however, I was hoping that it could replace my 70-300 and use it In combo with the 20-60. But there is something in the rendering of the 28-200 I don't like, can't explain. Mostly the out of focus part both in front and back of the focus plane. I was already saving up pennies for this one, but I'll pass for now. Maybe in the future if the price drops.

Like the range, weight, aperture compromise and it is definitely sharp enough but somehow my hurry to get one is gone. (which might be a good thing Z04 Wife)

I'm also very happy with this lens as a video travel lens (where I bought it for).

This week I tested it out and I'm quite happy with the results. I do realize I have to improve, some of the shots are not as good as I liked, but I have myself to blame for that.

Here the short video I made with it:

Back