L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

SHOW - Shots in 65:24 format (Xpan)

This XPan 65:24 ratio has something very cinematic.

I have found a turkish filmaker, Nuri Bilge Ceylan, who was awarded with the Palme d'Or in Cannes festival (2014), who takes pictures with the 65:24 aspect ratio. I think these photos are worth sharing because they may be inspiring for some of us:

This XPan 65:24 ratio has something very cinematic.

I have found a turkish filmaker, Nuri Bilge Ceylan, who was awarded with the Palme d'Or in Cannes festival (2014), who takes pictures with the 65:24 aspect ratio. I think these photos are worth sharing because they may be inspiring for some of us:

Fantastic shots, all of them. A masterclass in composition. This one is sublime:

curvedstreet.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks @xaviergut for that link. The 65:24 radio Turkish series is excellent and inspiring, but I wasn't aware of Ceylon previously, and the "For my Father" series is so powerful and wonderful to see, so thanks again.

Here's another example of a photographer using the 65:24 aspect ratio.

Nothing less than Josef Koudelka, IMHO the best black and white photographer in history...

One good example of street photography in xpan:
And one example more towards architecture:

Great idea for a thread, and some great stuff here.

I often forget to try composing in alternative aspect ratios when I shoot, even though I've assigned that function to a button on my S1R. But here are a few I converted to 65x24 in post, from a road trip I did into the American SW (Utah) in February.

2023-02-24%2007.39.57_4k-4K.jpg

2023-02-24%2007.42.19_4k-4K.jpg

2023-02-24%2008.38.33_4k-4K.jpg

2023-02-27%2010.33.32_4k-4K.jpg

really like the black and white, I’m not usually a fan of that for landscape but it works well in that shot. Does the S5 have that aspect ratio built in? That could be a good use case for a superwide lens and hi-res mode
Agreed, I really like that B&W shot. Although I quite like B&W for landscape in general.

Great idea for a thread, and some great stuff here.

I often forget to try composing in alternative aspect ratios when I shoot, even though I've assigned that function to a button on my S1R. But here are a few I converted to 65x24 in post, from a road trip I did into the American SW (Utah) in February.

2023-02-24%2007.39.57_4k-4K.jpg

2023-02-24%2007.42.19_4k-4K.jpg

2023-02-24%2008.38.33_4k-4K.jpg

2023-02-27%2010.33.32_4k-4K.jpg
All really excellent George. I lived in the US for three years but somehow never got to visit Utah (or indeed any of the GrandCanyon area).

Thanks guys! Your work is wonderful as well.

Paul, Utah/Arizona would be worth a trip some time! It's really amazing. If you do come over, let me know!

I owned the X-Pan with all 3 lenses until 10 years ago when I sold it.
It was a great piece of film camera and I still have a lot wonderful slides in my archive. But thinking back it was the right decision to sell it, because the costs and handling of slides is no fun today. Looking at the results from modern digital cameras it is also no loss. Just the feel of these old iconic cameras is unmatched today. I also have uncounted slides from my Pentax 67 and 67II (56:68 is also a very interesting format...)

This 24:65 format works extremely well for certain situations. But the real advantage today is the free use of any format up to personal choice. If you have a scene for square, prepare a square, if you want panorama, you can work in panorama.

Great pictures from you all!

I owned the X-Pan with all 3 lenses until 10 years ago when I sold it.
It was a great piece of film camera and I still have a lot wonderful slides in my archive. But thinking back it was the right decision to sell it, because the costs and handling of slides is no fun today. Looking at the results from modern digital cameras it is also no loss. Just the feel of these old iconic cameras is unmatched today. I also have uncounted slides from my Pentax 67 and 67II (56:68 is also a very interesting format...)

This 24:65 format works extremely well for certain situations. But the real advantage today is the free use of any format up to personal choice. If you have a scene for square, prepare a square, if you want panorama, you can work in panorama.

Great pictures from you all!
I agrée entirely about how much better digital is. It’s easy to get all misty-eyed about film gear, but the truth is that it’s inferior in almost every way to modern digital. But you can’t deny the joy of handling old film gear - it has a certain “gestaldt” that digital just doesn’t have.

Back