L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

SHOW - Shots in 65:24 format (Xpan)

What is that unique building Paul? Is that sun star in the middle from a reflection? It is a really nice image.
It’s one of the buildings that are part of the Fornebu development in west Oslo. It’s a massive redevelopment of what used to be Oslo’s main airport until it was moved to Gardemoen in 1998. And yes, the sun star is a reflection from one of the glass panels on the sloped roof that makes up the atrium.

Very interesting format. I have seen it here first time and the perversion of putting it vertical did not leave my head. Interesting how full body portaits suit this format so well. Since i don't want to post pics of my kids, here are some others. I feel a little shamefull to post it here next to this great compositions but want to contribute and extend the discussion.
P_JP0290-500kb-2.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2
  • 24-70mm F2.8 DG DN | Art 019
  • 32.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/40 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 6400

Panasonic Lumix S5ii, Sigma 24-70@32mm, f2.8, s1/40, iso6400
P_JP2935-8.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/250 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

Panasonic Lumix S5ii, Tamron 70-300(ef-mc21)@70mm, f8, s250, iso100
P_JP2936-6.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2
  • 300.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/320 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

Panasonic Lumix S5ii, Tamron 70-300(ef-mc21)@300mm, f8, s320, iso100

Very interesting format. I have seen it here first time and the perversion of putting it vertical did not leave my head. Interesting how full body portaits suit this format so well. Since i don't want to post pics of my kids, here are some others. I feel a little shamefull to post it here next to this great compositions but want to contribute and extend the discussion.
View attachment 255
Panasonic Lumix S5ii, Sigma 24-70@32mm, f2.8, s1/40, iso6400
View attachment 257
Panasonic Lumix S5ii, Tamron 70-300(ef-mc21)@70mm, f8, s250, iso100
View attachment 258
Panasonic Lumix S5ii, Tamron 70-300(ef-mc21)@300mm, f8, s320, iso100
Super shots Johnny. Vertical XPAN is a tough challenge to pull off - but these are all good!

Very interesting format. I have seen it here first time and the perversion of putting it vertical did not leave my head.
Of these the dog under lamp is my favorite, it is actually quite good. Yep, I've never thought of this format either.

About viewing the posting, all the shots are magnified to several times full scale for me. I can click the first photo and it reduces to fit the vertical scale of my screen, so it is very viewable. The others don't work like this, so I can't view them properly. I don't know if this is some characteristic of the forum software, or whether the last two were posted differently. Or perhaps is it my viewer and others may see these okay. Maybe Dirk can help here.

Of these the dog under lamp is my favorite, it is actually quite good. Yep, I've never thought of this format either.

About viewing the posting, all the shots are magnified to several times full scale for me. I can click the first photo and it reduces to fit the vertical scale of my screen, so it is very viewable. The others don't work like this, so I can't view them properly. I don't know if this is some characteristic of the forum software, or whether the last two were posted differently. Or perhaps is it my viewer and others may see these okay. Maybe Dirk can help here.
Yes, the dog photo was very nice - after I read your comment and clicked the photo to show it correctly. The rest of the photos may also be good, but I cannot see those as I need to scroll pages after pages to view them.

Maybe these are not inserted as thumbnails or there is other simple explanation for this.

Thx for the kind responds. I dropped the pics per drag & drop. Would be good to know whether i should do it it differently? Or is it just the format? And the vertical pix above are links, and therefore behave different?

Thx for the kind responds. I dropped the pics per drag & drop. Would be good to know whether i should do it it differently? Or is it just the format? And the vertical pix above are links, and therefore behave different?
Yes, I noticed this too.

One from the other day, another case of finding that 65:34 suited the image days after capturing it.

Cessna 152 by Peter North, on Flickr
I'm a bit surprised by the clarity of the airplane in this shot. Whenever I try to photograph something that needs a telelens to bring into view, I usually end up with a disappointing, low contrast subject hidden behind a blueish haze. Is there any particular trick you used to enhance the picture or were the atmospheric conditions just very kind on you? Or is it just a matter of the plane being much closer than I imagine due to a clever crop?

I'm a bit surprised by the clarity of the airplane in this shot. Whenever I try to photograph something that needs a telelens to bring into view, I usually end up with a disappointing, low contrast subject hidden behind a blueish haze. Is there any particular trick you used to enhance the picture or were the atmospheric conditions just very kind on you? Or is it just a matter of the plane being much closer than I imagine due to a clever crop?
The spot where I took this is maybe 1 mile from the runway, so the planes are probably only about 500ft up. The weather was good, mostly clear sky with few clouds. My angle to the sun was also good, having some of the rays bounce off that bit of cloud threw some extra light on the plane.

I had pretty ideal conditions for the photo to begin with but I also edited it a little in light-room to give the plane a bit of extra prominence. basically just a bit of a contrast boost, slightly lower blacks, slightly higher whites, raise the shadows to brighten up the dark side of the plane, apply a little noise reduction to offset the shadow boosts. I may have tapped the clarity slider a little, although i tend to avoid going above 10 on that slider. just lots of little subtle edits really that improve perceived sharpness without actually altering sharpness.

I've done it again, another old image that was sat in my lightroom library, I thought there was something there when i captured it last year, but could never quite find the right way to show the right amount of environment. I think the XPan aspect ratio works really well for it, credit to @pdk42 for starting this thread and giving me this idea.

Lumix S5​

• Sigma 100-400 f5-6.3​

• 400mm​

• f8​

• 1/400​

Fallow Deer in X-Pan by Peter North, on Flickr

Photographing the Vienna marathon (23.04.2023) in 65:24 format:

P1201575-3.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5
  • LUMIX S 20-60/F3.5-5.6
  • 20.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/250 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

#1: S5 + Lumix 20-60mm: 20mm - f5.6 - 1/250s - ISO 100

P1201673-3.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5
  • LUMIX S 20-60/F3.5-5.6
  • 20.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/1250 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

#2: S5 + Lumix 20-60mm: 20mm - f4 - 1/1250s - ISO 100

P1201800-4.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5
  • LUMIX S 20-60/F3.5-5.6
  • 39.0 mm
  • ƒ/5
  • 1/320 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

#3: S5 + Lumix 20-60mm: 39mm - f5 - 1/320s - ISO 100

P1212199-2.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5
  • LUMIX S 20-60/F3.5-5.6
  • 37.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/250 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

#4: S5 + Lumix 20-60mm: 37mm - f8 - 1/250s - ISO 100

P1212592-3.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5
  • LUMIX S 85/F1.8
  • 85.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/125 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

#5: S5 + Lumix 85: f11 - 1/125s - ISO 100

P1212696-2.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5
  • LUMIX S 85/F1.8
  • 85.0 mm
  • ƒ/3.5
  • 1/500 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

#6: S5 + Lumix 85mm: f3.5 - 1/500s - ISO 100

I have played with this aspect ratio in-camera briefly but not for anything worth showing - there are some really excellent shots here which perfectly suit the 65:24 format.

It's a shame that the in-camera post-processing doesn't allow cropping in order to see how a cropped version compares to the original. If a crop is applied when shooting raw + jpeg then are further in-camera processed files generated with that same crop factor or do they default back to showing the full frame?

I have played with this aspect ratio in-camera briefly but not for anything worth showing - there are some really excellent shots here which perfectly suit the 65:24 format.

It's a shame that the in-camera post-processing doesn't allow cropping in order to see how a cropped version compares to the original. If a crop is applied when shooting raw + jpeg then are further in-camera processed files generated with that same crop factor or do they default back to showing the full frame?
I thought you could use the in-camera processing to crop?

If you shoot raw (only) with a crop applied, the image preview shows the crop, with the area outside the crop greyed out.

Back