L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Sigma new product announcement on 5th of October

Jonathan-Mac

I just saw this on Instagram from Sigma_japan - any idea what it might be? No details given in the announcement.

Fingers crossed for a 135mm f/2.8 DG DN Contemporary.....

I'd guess the 70-200mm f/2.8 given that back in March Kazuto Yamaki said it was coming "sooner rather than later". He also said it would be "different", so if it is that then I'm curious as to what it's actually going to be.

The rumor pages are talking about the 70-200 and an APS-C 2.8/10-18 wideangle.

Nothing for me unless the 70-200 will become very special (no idea how…). For me a small i-series 135 and something like the 35-150 from Tamron would be more dangerous for my bank account :)

In Germany today also a new cashback started with 100€ for many Art lenses (like the 20/1.4 , 24/1.4 , 85/1.4 and many more)

A new 135mm F2.8 or 3.5 would be cool. I'd also like to see Sigma announce a creative new zoom lens. Something interesting that hasn't been done before that could challenge Tamron with their unique zooms.

A new 135mm F2.8 or 3.5 would be cool. I'd also like to see Sigma announce a creative new zoom lens. Something interesting that hasn't been done before that could challenge Tamron with their unique zooms.
70-135 f2 would be awesome. Even if it was a variable aperture, I would imagine if it included stabilization it would be more useful then the Tamron in many areas and could be made smaller.

Am I out of line for wishing on a new version of the fp? :)

That would be cool! Please with a better viewfinder option or even an integrated VF

In Germany today also a new cashback started with 100€ for many Art lenses (like the 20/1.4 , 24/1.4 , 85/1.4 and many more)

Yes, I saw this too. But these are only the bulky/heavy lenses.

I would love to see a Sigma 28/2.0 DG DN. The 28mm focal lenght is totally missing in the Sigma line up. Even Panasonic does not offer it. And Leica offers only a very big/heave one with a price tag nobody can afford. I would rather then buy a Leica Q3 instead.

I'd love to see a compact DG DN I-series somewhere between the 24mm f/3.5 and 45mm f/2.8.

I recently got the 65mm f/2 and, while it's a spectacularly sharp lens with a very nice character, I definitely prefer to use the compact I-series lenses with the fp L (I have the 17mm f/4 and 24mm f/3.5).

So, since Sigma often use slightly unusual focal lengths for the I-series, how about a 30mm f/2.8?

I recently got the 65mm f/2 and, while it's a spectacularly sharp lens with a very nice character, I definitely prefer to use the compact I-series lenses

Same with me. The 65/2.0 is great, but because of size and weight, I never use it. I use the 50/2.0 DG DN and the 90/2.8 DG DN instead.

I'd love to see a compact DG DN I-series somewhere between the 24mm f/3.5 and 45mm f/2.8.

There is already the 35/2.0 DG DN.

So, since Sigma often use slightly unusual focal lengths for the I-series, how about a 30mm f/2.8?

I think this is too close to the 35/2.0 DG DN. A 28/2.0 DG DN i-series would be the perfect solution between the 35 and the 24.

The 35mm f/2 is actually quite close to the 65mm f/2 in size: it’s just 9mm shorter and 2mm less in diameter although it does weigh somewhat less. The more compact DG DN I-Series are around 26mm shorter and 8mm less in diameter and are just over half the weight. And there are two 24mm lenses in the range, the f/3.5 and the f/2.

So while it’s wishful thinking on my part, I’d really like one of the smaller lenses with a focal length mid-way between the 24mm f/3.5 and 45mm f/2.8. 32mm would give a field of view right between the two, but since I own and very much like the Panasonic Leica 15mm f/1.7 micro four thirds lens (30mm equivalent) I can’t help but think a full-frame version of that would be nice…

Please pardon the quick iPad photo, but here’s my GM1 (the truly “micro” M43 camera) and the 15mm f/1.7: it actually bears something of a resemblance to the DG DN I-series.

GM1.jpg

So while it’s wishful thinking on my part, I’d really like one of the smaller lenses with a focal length mid-way between the 24mm f/3.5 and 45mm f/2.8. 32mm would give a field of view right between the two, but since I own and very much like the Panasonic Leica 15mm f/1.7 micro four thirds lens (30mm equivalent) I can’t help but think a full-frame version of that would be nice…
I used to have the Pentax 21mm f/3.2 DA Limited lens which was for APS-C DSLRs and it was a very nice lens and extremely compact - most people would consider it a pancake lens - although of course it's much slower than most of the other lenses being discussed here. That's a field of view of about 31 or 32mm in FF terms and it's a very useful focal length even if it's maximum aperture puts a significant limit on what it can be used for.

I used to have the Pentax 21mm f/3.2 DA Limited lens which was for APS-C DSLRs and it was a very nice lens and extremely compact - most people would consider it a pancake lens - although of course it's much slower than most of the other lenses being discussed here. That's a field of view of about 31 or 32mm in FF terms and it's a very useful focal length even if it's maximum aperture puts a significant limit on what it can be used for.
Yup, the 21 Limited is a very nice lens indeed, and the DA 40 Limited is even smaller - although, to be fair, it’s just an update of the Pentax-M 40/2.8 I currently keep as the default lens on my fp.

The Pentax-M on my fp:

IMG_5145.jpeg
  • Apple - iPhone 13 mini
  • iPhone 13 mini back dual wide camera 5.1mm f/1.6
  • 5.1 mm
  • ƒ/1.6
  • 1/60 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

Yup, the 21 Limited is a very nice lens indeed, and the DA 40 Limited is even smaller - although, to be fair, it’s just an update of the Pentax-M 40/2.8 I currently keep as the default lens on my fp.
Though both are five elements in four groups, the DA version has a much better reputation for image quality. I used to own the DA but it was part of the sell-off that got me into the L-mount, though I won't rule out getting one again some day to use on both Pentax and L-mount.

Though both are five elements in four groups, the DA version has a much better reputation for image quality. I used to own the DA but it was part of the sell-off that got me into the L-mount, though I won't rule out getting one again some day to use on both Pentax and L-mount.
I’ve seen the DA Limited in person, and I own the XS version. The optical block appears identical, and the DA Limited’s packaging is basically the Pentax-M without the aperture ring. Whatever the differences are, they’re very small.

My best guess is either there was some improvements in the coatings or glass formulation, or the DA got a better rep because the optical design was being used on APS-C instead of full-frame.

Back