L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Lumix 28-200

Thanks for posting this link. The samples don't really show a great range of use cases - in particular, there are no examples of a "landscape" type shot (near infinity focus with lots of fine details across the frame) at longer focal lengths. Nonetheless, I'm actually fairly impressed with what I'm seeing.
DPReview's sample galleries frequently seem to be lacking in landscape type shots. The main thing that bothers me is that there seems to be a significant amount of lateral chromatic aberration, particularly noticeable in image 29 where the overhead cables are outlined against the sky at the extreme left and right. It's also present in the power lines against the snow in the lower part of image 54, where it alternates in colour.

DPReview's sample galleries frequently seem to be lacking in landscape type shots. The main thing that bothers me is that there seems to be a significant amount of lateral chromatic aberration, particularly noticeable in image 29 where the overhead cables are outlined against the sky at the extreme left and right. It's also present in the power lines against the snow in the lower part of image 54, where it alternates in colour.
Yes, I can see that. I guess we can't really expect a lens with this zoom range and weight/size to deliver top-class IQ.

These boys and girls, this is from the film Baraka...
Japan+Snow+Monkey-1692052003.png
And I wouldn't be using one over 24-105 and 70-300, but it was mostly dark or dim scenery.

It would need a real landscape test on a sunny day at different focal lengths including infinity as you say, it should do better here rather than most of these dark street photography shots, I wouldn't even attempt to use it for this but it did quite well considering.

These dpreview sample galleries are always fairly crap IMO and we've seen the same old Japan street photography a zillion times... Photos of vending machines... boringWant See Pics

I've just watched Chris and Jordan's review, I feel they are quite positive about the lens and we have pointed out different things we like and don't like.
But every reviewer has their own way of reviewing camera gears. For example, unlike a lot of reviewers, I don't test sharpness, or distortion by shooting a test chart at a close distance. My reasons:
1. Non-macro lenses are usually not optimised for close-distance shooting (Example for distortion: )
2. Most of the real-world photos are not shot at test chart distance
Instead, I do my sharpness/distortion/vignetting test at a "normal" distance i.e. focus distance is more than a few meters. I also do a separate closeup sharpness test in the "closeup" section of my review.
Don't get me wrong, I don't mean I have the best way to review camera lenses, far from it, I also keep evolving how I do my tests as I found issues with my own test methodology. What i want to say is, every reviewer tests things very differently, so it's completely normal to come up with different conclusions even if we share the exact same lens sample.
I always suggest people to watch/read as many reviews from reputable reviewers as you can before you spend your hard earned money.

Re full-res samples, I want to make it very clear that Panasonic has NEVER requested me not to post any RAW / full res photos. It's just my personal choice not to do it after some previous bad experience. I no longer post any RAW/full res photos for any of my reviews when shot with pre-production/pre-release samples these days. For example, I've just published a review of the new Sony FE 24-50 f/2.8G lens yesterday, it's also a pre-release product and I have also not shared any full size sample. Again, Sony has not requested me not to do that.

With the Lumix 14-28, that lens was available for us to try out during the Lumix Tokyo Summit event when there were (i think) 80 or so reviewers/content creators there so that may explain why you were able to find more samples easier.

But still. To get a feel of lens character I would love to see something like 6mp jpg or so

These dpreview sample galleries are always fairly crap IMO and we've seen the same old Japan street photography a zillion times... Photos of vending machines... boring
I like street photography from Japan. It reminds me of all the time I've spent there. But the Snow Monkeys freak me out.

I'm still not sold on this lens. For me the 20-60mm is a better street lens. I'll keep the 28-200mm in mind, but for now I'm not very interested.

Hate is a pretty strong word. Probably not strong enough for me, when describing that streaming pile of faeces that is DPreview. In saying that, even with the retarded settings used and resulting high ISO, I was a bit surprised at how well the photos turned out. Will be interesting to see a more competent review, in better light. The lens isn't for me, but still curious to see what they've (Panasonic) managed to achieve in such a small package

I'll keep the 28-200mm in mind, but for now I'm not very interested.
I've had another thought about the 28-200.

Recently I've been working with ways to reduce noise from high ISO photos with my micro four thirds G9 II. Lightroom Denoise actually works well for this. But I also wanted a small amount of AI sharpening; my M43 zooms could use some help. I have Topaz Photo AI as well as Topaz Sharpen AI, but was not able to get the low noise results I get with Lightroom Denoise when I added a little AI sharpening. On top of that Topaz still doesn't have RAW decoding for the G9 II (nor for the S5II). So I took a look at DxO PureRAW 4. You may know this is a Lightroom plugin that brings much of DxO's capability to Lightroom, especially AI denoise and sharpening. This has worked out very well, and I'm adjusting my workflow with the G9 II around DxO PureRAW 4.

And then I was looking at the DPreview sample shots with the 28-200 on the S5IIx. The nightime street shots have terrible noise. And I thought "high noise, with a lens that's not the sharpest in the bag". How would those look with with DxO PureRAW 4? So I downloaded a bunch of the RAW shots and processed them. They are all very good. I still don't know if I'll get the 28-200, but there is a tempting path.

Why not just switch over from Lightroom to DxO PhotoLab, instead of using the plugin? PhotoLab has all the features in PureRAW. But I'm hooked on the true HDR photo processing in Lightroom, and the DxO products don't have this. For now the DxO PureRAW plugin for Lightroom is a good solution.

I've had another thought about the 28-200.

Recently I've been working with ways to reduce noise from high ISO photos with my micro four thirds G9 II. Lightroom Denoise actually works well for this. But I also wanted a small amount of AI sharpening; my M43 zooms could use some help. I have Topaz Photo AI as well as Topaz Sharpen AI, but was not able to get the low noise results I get with Lightroom Denoise when I added a little AI sharpening. On top of that Topaz still doesn't have RAW decoding for the G9 II (nor for the S5II). So I took a look at DxO PureRAW 4. You may know this is a Lightroom plugin that brings much of DxO's capability to Lightroom, especially AI denoise and sharpening. This has worked out very well, and I'm adjusting my workflow with the G9 II around DxO PureRAW 4.

And then I was looking at the DPreview sample shots with the 28-200 on the S5IIx. The nightime street shots have terrible noise. And I thought "high noise, with a lens that's not the sharpest in the bag". How would those look with with DxO PureRAW 4? So I downloaded a bunch of the RAW shots and processed them. They are all very good. I still don't know if I'll get the 28-200, but there is a tempting path.

Why not just switch over from Lightroom to DxO PhotoLab, instead of using the plugin? PhotoLab has all the features in PureRAW. But I'm hooked on the true HDR photo processing in Lightroom, and the DxO products don't have this. For now the DxO PureRAW plugin for Lightroom is a good solution.
That’s an interesting observation Charles. I’ve played with the trial version of DxO PureRaw and was impressed with its NR. I can’t see me leaving Lightroom any time soon, but I could be tempted with a plug in if it’s worth the cost.

And then a month later Nikon makes a FF Z mount 28-400 f4-f8

Z04 Head Wall
Double the focal length on the long end, but also almost double the weight. While it's nice as an option for Z-Mount users, I don't think such a lens is necessary. The only reason for me to buy the 28-200 would be the very light weight and small size. I never would think about buying a bigger travel Zoom, even if it's as good as the Tamron 28-200.

The only reason for me to buy the 28-200 would be the very light weight and small size
Yeah very true, Nikon have also done well with this 28-400 which will appeal to those who want 2x the reach again.

Makes my previous favourite Pentax 20-40 zoom look almost fixed :)

What kind of image quality can you expect from a 28-400mm zoom?
I watched the Petapixel review, it actually looked quite good. With mirrorless they can now do better things than with DSLR.
You will not be happy with it. Neither regarding IQ nor regarding size and weight.
It's not for me, hey I just posted about the Lumix 70-300 I got yesterday. Conversely I know the type of people who would buy this as their only lens with a Nikon Z camera, so they could pull in more newcomers with such a superzoom kit lens. I also thought this was the case for Lumix 28-200 but I haven't seen it for sale yet as a S5ii combo kit.

yes, the PetaPixel review about the Nikon 28-400 sounds positive. It would be not my cup of tea because of the weight and size, especially if you zoom out.

The Nikon is F8 at 200mm, the Lumix 28-200 is F7.1 at 200mm. And it weights around 480g and is smaller. I rather would pick the Lumix. But I almost never need more than 200mm. For those, who want to have all in one up to 400mm, the Nikon might be better suited.

I rather would pick the Lumix. But I almost never need more than 200mm. For those, who want to have all in one up to 400mm, the Nikon might be better suited.
If I'm going to shoot at 400mm, I'm going to use a proper lens for that. Not some jack of all trades superzoom. Because, like yourself, I'm very rarely going to use and want 400mm. About the only time, is if I go to the race track, to watch and shoot a bit of Motorsport. I rarely shoot 200mm, or even 100mm, even when travelling on holidays, so my small, compact, light and sharp 28-70mm f2.8 works perfectly for me. 300, 400mm and above are speciality lenses for an intended purpose, not something you drag around everywhere, just in case

I just found this review, posted two days ago... Interesting part is the resolution vs aperture chart. I already wanted this lens, that hasn't lessened with this review, quite the opposite.
Photo Review

Do in mind: I mostly do video with my S5iix (and S5). I see this as a travel lens, for other situations I have better options.

I just found this review, posted two days ago... Interesting part is the resolution vs aperture chart. I already wanted this lens, that hasn't lessened with this review, quite the opposite.
Photo Review

Do in mind: I mostly do video with my S5iix (and S5). I see this as a travel lens, for other situations I have better options.
They gave it a 9/10 which is pretty good!

Back