L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Lumix 28-200

I think it's clear that this lens is not a magic bullet - image quality will not be up to exacting standards for sharpness, such as often desired for landscapes, not to mention flare. We can't disregard the "rule" that super-zooms sacrifice significant image quality for their high zoom ratios and small size. This may be the newest super-zoom on the market and it may be better than many others but it's still a super-zoom with all the limitations that implies.
Yes, that’s the conclusion I’m coming to. I think I’ll pass on the 28-200. I’m in Scotland at the moment and finding that the 14-28 + 24-105 are both great lenses that perform really well and cover most of the range I need. I’ve got the 70-300 too and actually that’s a great performer as well. I can take the extra weight for the time being!

Last edited:
Yes, that’s the conclusion I’m coming to. I think I’ll pass on the 28-200. I’m in Scotland at the moment and finding that the 14-28 + 24-105 are both great lenses that perform really well and cover most of the range I need. I’ve got the 70-300 too and actually that’s a great performer as well. I can take the extra weight for the time being!
Ha, in the end I thought you would come to that conclusion and that makes sense. I'm still waiting for the 70-300 and more eagerly waiting for that one than the 24-105 right now. I've even bought a dedicated "Manfrotto Advanced Fast" backpack to properly protect the S5ii, 24-105 & 70-300. This caution is mainly for cycling around and while I don't fall off much being an ex-racing cyclist I took chances before with lenses just in a thin neoprene zip bag. This is fine for hiking but that kind of money hitting the road wouldn't be good.

Also a "used" 77mm Marumi DHG polariser on the way which fits both 24-105 and 70-300 which is ideal. My Hoya Fusion CPL lived on my Pentax 20-40mm, and a Marumi Exus CPL on my Pentax 15mm but £145 for 77mm size means I'll get one at a later date.

I would love a photography trip in Scotland and should have already done so, I'd need to camp the whole trip though. I was in Scotland for 6 hours once LoL and it's just that little channel of water and the expensive car ferry fee and having to camp for an entire week in freezing cold is a bit of a barrier or excuse. It's weird as the Islands appear in many of my photos, even telegraph poles and buildings can be seen zooming in on images I took with 300mm on APSC.

Looking forward to seeing the Scotland photos. :)

Looking forward to seeing the Scotland photos
Same here. I have not been to Scotland enough, and am looking forward to what you post. My only real tour of Scotland was oh so many years ago, with my girl friend. I knew, but she didn’t, that when we got over to Denmark I was going to propose marriage when we were in Copenhagen, in the Tivoli Gardens. That happened, and we’ve been married now for 42 years. Our time in Scotland is a bit of a distant memory, but we still talk about it now and then. Our biggest challenge, the further north we went the less we could understand the local English accent. It was even worse in pubs later in the evening. For some reason they could understand our American accents, but it didn’t work the other way, and we remember how much we enjoyed struggling to communicate, and learning about life in Scotland. And the scenery was great.

Same here. I have not been to Scotland enough, and am looking forward to what you post. My only real tour of Scotland was oh so many years ago, with my girl friend. I knew, but she didn’t, that when we got over to Denmark I was going to propose marriage when we were in Copenhagen, in the Tivoli Gardens. That happened, and we’ve been married now for 42 years. Our time in Scotland is a bit of a distant memory, but we still talk about it now and then. Our biggest challenge, the further north we went the less we could understand the local English accent. It was even worse in pubs later in the evening. For some reason they could understand our American accents, but it didn’t work the other way, and we remember how much we enjoyed struggling to communicate, and learning about life in Scotland. And the scenery was great.
That's a lovely story Charles. You and your wife must come back to Scotland. My wife and I spent three years in Ipswich, MA back in the late 90s and we went back for a few weeks last Oct. It was great to revisit places we spent time at In our early years together.

Last edited:
I only live 30 miles away from Scotland and can't understand them either :p

Americans are loud (I jest sort of) and talk very slowly and the Scots watch them on TV so that's why they understand you Z04 Carrot The opposite are Irish from West Cork and Kerry region where they speak so fast it can be difficult for me to understand them or at all depending on age.

Scot's and Irish have big variations with accents and language to a lesser extent, it's collections of Anglo-Gaelic dialect where the languages combined. Saying all this England has crazy variations too. All in all it is so different to the USA.

Also a "used" 77mm Marumi DHG polariser on the way which fits both 24-105 and 70-300 which is ideal.

This reminds me that I took your advice and have ordered a 77mm circular polariser to use on my 24-105 and 70-300mm. I did a bit of research and went for the Hoya HD Nano Mk II CIR-PL as the reviews said it delivers 25 per cent more light transmission (about half an f/stop) which should help given the settings I use for taking shots of moving trains.

I only live 30 miles away from Scotland and can't understand them either :p
Americans are loud (I jest sort of) and talk very slowly and the Scots watch them on TV so that's why they understand you Z04 Carrot The opposite are Irish from West Cork and Kerry region where they speak so fast it can be difficult for me to understand them or at all depending on age.

Scot's and Irish have big variations with accents and language to a lesser extent, it's collections of Anglo-Gaelic dialect where the languages combined. Saying all this England has crazy variations too. All in all it is so different to the USA.
I've been watching some TV shows based in Scotland (Shetland, Annika) so am getting used to the accent. The most difficult to understand was the Welsh show Hinterland. Curiously, Smother (set in Ireland) was easier to understand.

I've been watching some TV shows based in Scotland (Shetland, Annika) so am getting used to the accent. The most difficult to understand was the Welsh show Hinterland. Curiously, Smother (set in Ireland) was easier to understand.
Yes in general I think it is easier to understand but a TV production needs to be for today's worldwide audience.

I remember getting ready for a photo hike in the Cooley mountains, driving into the car park I noticed a pensioner bus tour with a County Kerry registration plate. This 70+ man came over for a 'yarn' and I literally did not understand a word, I didn't want to say sorry I can't understand you and reluctantly said "ah very good that's nice" and he gave me a funny look and returned to his bus. For all I know he could have said "my wife had a heart attack, can you help?".

All this vernacular discussion reminds me of the film 'Snatch' directed by Guy Ritchie where Brad Pitt plays an Irish traveller boxing champion, it is probably one of the best black comedy films ever made and possibly not allowed as such in today's OTT uber sensitive offend nobody politically correct media, but judging what I think is your sense of humour you would love it. Trainspotting is another one with a famous scene of a Glaswegian herion addict attending a job interview on amphetamines, however it's not about trains and maybe you've already seen them.

This reminds me that I took your advice and have ordered a 77mm circular polariser to use on my 24-105 and 70-300mm. I did a bit of research and went for the Hoya HD Nano Mk II CIR-PL as the reviews said it delivers 25 per cent more light transmission (about half an f/stop) which should help given the settings I use for taking shots of moving trains.
Excellent, that is about the best you can get. It does indeed transmit more light and I confirm this with my Hoya Fusion & Marumi Exus vs legacy CPLs I own and you can leave it on the lens almost always which is good with the polariser turned off as such. TBH compared to the legacy CPLs sometimes it was difficult to see the darkening on an optical viewfinder unless you had a subject like windows or water to see the reduction in light reflection, that's how good they are. With the legacy CPLs you could gauge the amount of polarisation by the darkening alone.

Legacy CPLs were useful in ways of getting a bit more of an ND and they transmitted more blue for that traditional 'over blue' polarised look that you seen in 1980s holiday brochures however this is definitely now unfashionable and I personally don't like it. Your modern filter will make images look much more natural, possibly warmer with more saturated reds, greens and yellows and much more appealing. Even with the Hoya fusion & Marumi Exus fully dialled in I couldn't get the look of the legacy CPLs.

If this wasn't enough your polariser will massively reduce haze and the Rayleigh scattering of blue light resulting in sharper images with much more clarity, especially on sunny warm summer days with distant mountains etc. but obviously can't correct refractive heat haze bending and blurring light. I'm sorry if I sound like Chat GBT but this is from my head and experience.

A CPL is essential for landscapes, most of my best stuff was done with one, even a used Ebay £3 legacy job on my first DSLR, a Pentax K30 with 18-55 kit lens back in 2012 in a heavy snowfall in the Mourne mountains where the traditional extra blue skies worked a treat against the snowy mountains.

You've probably bought the best value for money equipment ever so looking forward to seeing what you can do with it and welcome to the polarisation society :p

I'm going to try a CPL and Hoya R72 again with the S5ii in L monochrome and this time I can see what it'll look like through the EVF. I did this years ago with Ilford Delta 100 monochrome film on Pentax and got great images. I do like the L monochrome mode and then there are the LUTs for further interest later on.

I remember getting ready for a photo hike in the Cooley mountains, driving into the car park I noticed a pensioner bus tour with a County Kerry registration plate. This 70+ man came over for a 'yarn' and I literally did not understand a word, I didn't want to say sorry I can't understand you and reluctantly said "ah very good that's nice" and he gave me a funny look and returned to his bus. For all I know he could have said "my wife had a heart attack, can you help?".
Ha ha! :D

All this vernacular discussion reminds me of the film 'Snatch' directed by Guy Ritchie where Brad Pitt plays an Irish traveller boxing champion, it is probably one of the best black comedy films ever made and possibly not allowed as such in today's OTT uber sensitive offend nobody politically correct media, but judging what I think is your sense of humour you would love it. Trainspotting is another one with a famous scene of a Glaswegian herion addict attending a job interview on amphetamines, however it's not about trains and maybe you've already seen them.
Thanks, I have heard of both films but haven't watched either. I might give them a try.

Excellent, that is about the best you can get. It does indeed transmit more light and I confirm this with my Hoya Fusion & Marumi Exus vs legacy CPLs I own and you can leave it on the lens almost always which is good with the polariser turned off as such. TBH compared to the legacy CPLs sometimes it was difficult to see the darkening on an optical viewfinder unless you had a subject like windows or water to see the reduction in light reflection, that's how good they are. With the legacy CPLs you could gauge the amount of polarisation by the darkening alone.
I had heard on the LUMIX Live webcasts that the PDAF system's effectiveness can be impacted by filters so figured this new Hoya product would be a good bet.

If this wasn't enough your polariser will massively reduce haze and the Rayleigh scattering of blue light resulting in sharper images with much more clarity, especially on sunny warm summer days with distant mountains etc. but obviously can't correct refractive heat haze bending and blurring light. I'm sorry if I sound like Chat GBT but this is from my head and experience.
Yes, heat haze is a problem here particularly in summer. A number of train photos I took with the 70-300 in warmer months last year were badly impacted. The only solution is to wait until the train is closer.

You've probably bought the best value for money equipment ever so looking forward to seeing what you can do with it and welcome to the polarisation society :p
Thanks, I hope it works out well. I couldn't find a local store that had it in stock, so I ordered through Amazon and they are shipping it from the UK. Scheduled to arrive in just over a week.

I had heard on the LUMIX Live webcasts that the PDAF system's effectiveness can be impacted by filters so figured this new Hoya product would be a good bet.
Possibly not good with the slower 24-200 then....a reason to use the faster lenses you already have.
Yes, heat haze is a problem here particularly in summer. A number of train photos I took with the 70-300 in warmer months last year were badly impacted. The only solution is to wait until the train is closer.
Yes all you can do there is be creative with it.
Thanks, I hope it works out well. I couldn't find a local store that had it in stock, so I ordered through Amazon and they are shipping it from the UK. Scheduled to arrive in just over a week.
Quicker than I get, almost seems made to order regarding Lumix as I said in dpreview thread.

CPL is great as you'll see

Thanks for posting this link. The samples don't really show a great range of use cases - in particular, there are no examples of a "landscape" type shot (near infinity focus with lots of fine details across the frame) at longer focal lengths. Nonetheless, I'm actually fairly impressed with what I'm seeing.

Last edited:
They seem to have blocked it to anyone using an ad-blocker. I was able to see it in an incognito window, though with ads of course.
It looks really good, like a bridge camera but much better. At distance it looks good too for those interested in landscape.

I suppose you can see a difference in the monkey portraits between the better lenses like 70-200 or even 70-300. Perhaps it was just the phitographer but they weren't uber sharp or contasty.

Those monkeys remind me of the visually fantastic cinematic film "Baraka", if you haven't seen that check it out. Most of you will really enjoy it as it is a film for photographers or videographers especially with the excellent video now available in consumer gear, it was shot on 70mm though.

I'll kit be getting it as I have 24-105 f4 and the 70-300 f4.5-f5.6 is hopefully not too longer to wait.

Overall I do agree though - the sharpness isn't fantastic on any of the shots at 200mm or thereabouts (whatever the monkey type).

They seem to have blocked it to anyone using an ad-blocker. I was able to see it in an incognito window, though with ads of course.
Yes, I had the same problem. I have to say that bit by bit the new owners of DPReview are making it more and more annoying with intrusive ads. And even worse - my pet hate - autostart videos. It's unusable without an ad-blocker. I can see my giving up entirely with it. We need to make sure this is the go-to place for L-mount!!

Last edited:
Back