L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Lumix 28-200

Me too :p

Ever heard of 'Group f64' or the 64 club? We're the f8 equivalent and don't recognise nonsense such as bokeh.
Haha! I haven't heard of Group f64!

No, is it bokeh, or Toneh? Z04 Flucht

If I had to choose between the two I suspect I'd also go with the Tamron. It seems much better value and is significantly faster.

A yt review in German showing 96mp high res-mode shots. Review. Conclusion is that it is a nice lens, not very good at 28mm and maybe not worth full asking price of €999. But €800 would be ok.

A yt review in German showing 96mp high res-mode shots. Review. Conclusion is that it is a nice lens, not very good at 28mm and maybe not worth full asking price of €999. But €800 would be ok.
Thanks, I just watched it. I thought the photos looked quite good. When he zooms into corners you can see the loss of sharpness but the overall look I felt was quite good.

I'm selling my 70-300 and buying this 28-200 instead (or actually I already ordered it). I have only few shoots with 70-300 as I have to decide beforehand to take it with me. S5II and 28-200 should fit to my smaller bag (Lowepro Event Messager 100), so instead of 20-60 I will get range of 28-200. If I choose my good, almost 20 year old Lowepro Nova 3, I can get 14-200+50 in smallish "regular" bag.

I don't mind if the sharpness is not as good as with primes or smaller zoom ranges. IMHO, some of my best photos were taken with Nikon D50 and 18-200. And that camera literally had only 6MP resolution. And even though the new lens will be very slow, I can still use my (slow) 20-60 or primes.

For people who are interested in the max aperture for each focal length, this is from the YouTube review from Josh Cameron

1000017456.jpg

Als he states that at 200mm the minimal focus distance is 49 cm, if you would shoot a face (fullframe), you would then get about this much in the frame:
1000017459.jpg

This is calculated at the following site:

Unfortunately at 28mm the site cannot calculate it, minimum distance the site wants is 30 cm en the lens can get as close as 14cm at the wide angle

The review from Josh is already a month old, but for the completeness if add it here:

I'm selling my 70-300 and buying this 28-200 instead (or actually I already ordered it). I have only few shoots with 70-300 as I have to decide beforehand to take it with me. S5II and 28-200 should fit to my smaller bag (Lowepro Event Messager 100), so instead of 20-60 I will get range of 28-200. If I choose my good, almost 20 year old Lowepro Nova 3, I can get 14-200+50 in smallish "regular" bag.

I don't mind if the sharpness is not as good as with primes or smaller zoom ranges. IMHO, some of my best photos were taken with Nikon D50 and 18-200. And that camera literally had only 6MP resolution. And even though the new lens will be very slow, I can still use my (slow) 20-60 or primes.
I’m contemplating the same thing… But I really do like the pictures I get IF I decide to bring 70-300 along. Choices choices.

I guess I will wait a while longer and see some actual forum user pictures and not reviewers stuff… . Or wait for a discount … although that could take a while. But it is still high on my wanted list. But I wonder if this is future proof resolution wise. For my current body it would definitely be ok.

Highest magnification 0.5x macro at 28mm about 3cm off the front element, not the long end.
Conversely the 70-300 has max magnification 0.5x at the 300mm end.
I don't think this matters much for most travel lens users, a real macro enthusiast would bring their macro lens on holidays regardless.

I'm glad to see someone buying it for what it is for, a travel lens or restricted gear size/weight lens.

I think, both, the 28-200 and 70-300, are only good for casual macro of flowers or maybe insects if they don't have to fill the hole frame.

The 70-300 is also a very good portrait lens. With it you can do better close-ups compared to the 85mm lenses from Sigma or Panasonic because they have a quiet high minimum focusing distance.

I think, both, the 28-200 and 70-300, are only good for casual macro of flowers or maybe insects if they don't have to fill the hole frame.

The 70-300 is also a very good portrait lens. With it you can do better close-ups compared to the 85mm lenses from Sigma or Panasonic because they have a quiet high minimum focusing distance.
For me, the macro is not so important as I already own 105 mm macro, which can be used also as a portraint lens. The 70-300 is a little bit problematic as 300mm is too short for e.g. birding, so 200-300 is "almost" the same in that sense. On the other hand, 150-600 (or 60-600) are too big and heavy, so I wouldn't use those in any case.

For me, the macro is not so important as I already own 105 mm macro, which can be used also as a portraint lens. The 70-300 is a little bit problematic as 300mm is too short for e.g. birding, so 200-300 is "almost" the same in that sense. On the other hand, 150-600 (or 60-600) are too big and heavy, so I wouldn't use those in any case.
Everybody has different needs. For me the 70-300 is a very good fit. If it would be 50-300, it would cover basically my comfort focal range. The 60-600 would be great, but currently I don't need the extra range at the longer end.

Maybe I even could manage most things without focal length above 200mm. But I can't imagine the 28-200 for me. When I use focal length below 70mm, I usually do it wide open with the 28-70/2.8 or a prime for subject seperation or because I need the light for indoor shooting. Or, for shooting lenscape, the aperture wouldn't be an issue, but I would need even wider focal length.

Anyone who already bought the lens online already received the lens? I asked today at CameraNu in the Netherlands, nut they couldn't give a shipping day yet. We are nearing the end of april...
I hoped to have the lens this saturday with Kings day, (huge day in the Netherlands). but I'm afraid that won't happen...

Anyone who already bought the lens online already received the lens? I asked today at CameraNu in the Netherlands, nut they couldn't give a shipping day yet. We are nearing the end of april...
I hoped to have the lens this saturday with Kings day, (huge day in the Netherlands). but I'm afraid that won't happen...
I just received a message: within 2 to 5 days I should have the lens. I expect than for wednesday, although I do hope for tomorrow, I have an trip on wednesday.
When I have some photos made I will post them here, because I know some want to know the IQ.

But of course I will do mostly video with this lens...

I just received a message: within 2 to 5 days I should have the lens. I expect than for wednesday, although I do hope for tomorrow, I have an trip on wednesday.
When I have some photos made I will post them here, because I know some want to know the IQ.

But of course I will do mostly video with this lens...
It looks quite good, I looked up flickr images using it with S5ii and although I could only gauge the 6000x4000 <2MB downloads as best possible I would be happy. It may not quite match the 24-105 & 70-300 I own but I'd need to compare the RAW or full output jpegs to really see differences. For the size/weight and range it looks fantastic and for video you should be happy. Maybe only in dark scenes it might struggle at f7.1

Maybe only in dark scenes it might struggle at f7.1
I have other (prime) lenses for that, so that will not be a problem.

Just received information that the lens has been shipped, I expect it to arrive tomorrow.

Gonna be a fun day today,

Normally I only make video, but i dont have a lot of time so I'll just make some photos today, see you later ;-)

Attachments

• 20240502_111113s.jpg
    EXIF
    20240502_111113s.jpg
    870.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240502_111516s.jpg
    EXIF
    20240502_111516s.jpg
    467.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240502_111842s.jpg
    EXIF
    20240502_111842s.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240502_111903s.jpg
    EXIF
    20240502_111903s.jpg
    833.6 KB · Views: 19
Thanks, I just watched it. I thought the photos looked quite good. When he zooms into corners you can see the loss of sharpness but the overall look I felt was quite good.
There is this thing about corners in wide angles- where it matters (all-in-focus landscapes mostly) I typically disable the distorsion corrections, because without heads or buildings they are irrelevant. Am I the only one? That is why for me it is interesting corners "as they are" optically, but most cases reviewers look at corrected images with their stretching and lower q.

Back